April 18, 2024, 08:49:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: DX7 Ultimate preset sysex pack  (Read 18599 times)

leo.arturia

• Super Berliner
  • Administrator
DX7 Ultimate preset sysex pack
« on: October 02, 2019, 12:51:55 pm »
Dear ladies and gentlemen
please find posted a collection of DX-7 presets.
The collection consists of a whoppppping
269,967 presets exclusively for the DX-7

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wzYOt_mpQ3tNTD-c5dP2KIfZ5FtDpu-x 

The story of this set.
When I first purchased the V collection from Arturia
I quickly realized that the Sysx system would be able to import any native presets that already existed.
I went “Trawling” the net to see what I could find.
I found a repository which offered a whopping collection which was clearly labelled as “public domain”
So I downloaded the zip file and commenced extraction.
It took me several weeks, yes weeks, to import them all into the Arturia format.
And yes, I often worked from 6.30 in the morning till 7.00 at night on this.
And it was apparent from the offering website that there were second and third copies already there.
Knowing the difference between these was impossible, as the descriptions were very unclear.

In the extraction process, I may well have actioned several of the files twice, or even three times.
Being thorough, and a bit confused as to what had been processed, and what had not.
These presets have NOT been auditioned.
So (for example) a preset named “organ” may well be exactly the same as another one called “pipe organ”
The sorting of these is a mammoth task, and well beyond the time resource of an individual.

So as it stands, the end result is a whopping 269,967 presets in arturia format for the DX-7 implementation.

I have previously posted the fact of my efforts to the Arturia forum
and of course the first response was a question of "preset ownership"

yes, I know, this has not been taken into account throughout my efforts of extraction and sorting.
the reason being that I do not have the financial or legaleze resources to undertake such a debate.
I am not a company, but a single individual.
as you might guess, my offer to you is made with the idea of saving someone else from having to do the back-break work, to do the same simple job somewhere else.... twice or three times by other people who are unaware that the work has already been done.

I think that if there is such a conference regarding the question of ownership, then it should really be undertaken with the person who administered the gifting website in the first place.
as far as I can gather, it was designed to provide the presets to the "dexed" user community.
so in that case it could be seen as a "free repository" for those who use the "free dexed software"
but of course, this would hinge entirely on the opinional "leaning" of the website admin.

and yes, of course, the presets will more than likely have to be offered to the wider community as a "free addition"
to once again avoid any issues of "ownership"

I have attempted to contact the website admin who offered the collection in the first place.
The address is as follows.
http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/yamaha_dx7/dx7_patches.html

for some reason my emailing was unable to establish any contact with the website admin. So after several attempts I gave it up as one of those “abandoned” sites. I assumed that it could be categorized as “still existing, but seldom monitored”

It should be clearly pointed out that the offering website EXPRESSLY STATES that all of the presets reside in the  public domain.
If you don’t believe me, then please examine the site itself.

In any case, it would be nice to see the increased number of presets reflected in the opening of the “analog lab” synth.

Finally
1. This increased number of available presets, is a reflection of a little “digging or trawling” on my part.
    It is a tremendous boost to the DX-7 synth implementation alone.

2. It might also be nice to see what else is out there in the “web archives” for the other synthesizers in the V collection.

3. I would welcome a “thank you” from the Arturia users, however, if you truly want to thank me, then perhaps you could have a go at trying to sort out the “second copes” within the collection. This could be achieved by working through and auditioning the preset names, one by one.

4. Credit should also be given to “Leo” at the Arturia help centre.
His monitoring of my progress, sage advice, and his gentle encouragement to complete the task, were more than I can thank him for. He deserves great credit for his patience and understanding. You should all put him on your Christmas card list.

As I have said, there are so many “piano” presets that can only be identified as second copies, by thorough auditioning and re-naming etc. This task is way-too-big for an individual, but it might just be possible with the help of the wider “V Collection” Community.

Thank you.
Rohan Trafford Walker.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: DX7 Ultimate preset sysex pack
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 01:06:58 pm »
Whoa. That's amazing. Well done, and thank you very much for sharing!!
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 10:58:31 pm »
That's a LOT of work. I know this, because I've been doing much the same thing, only far more sporadically. Just kinda randomly installing various .syx files from that very same massive preset collection. QUITE the task. Kudos to you for even attempting it!
However, I am seeing no way to import the presets from your zip.
Incidentally, I put in a feature request to allow importing more than one .syx file at once. Doing it one at a time is SO TEDIOUS!
This space left intentionally blank.

George Ware

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 02:52:37 am »
Thank you Leo!

RossoRacer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 02:05:48 pm »
Excellent work, well done. But can we have a MacOS Friendly download?! Or, just mass download?
'Climb aboard the shopping trolley of chaos'

comsax1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Demo page
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 03:49:17 pm »
Thanks for doing this. Can you please tell me how to import these into DX7v? Just bought it yesterday. Is the pack sysex files? Do I need a sysex library manager?
Ross Humphries
Cubase Pro 10.5.12
AKAI EWI 5000
Halion 6
Ozone 7 Advanced
Neutron Advanced
Arturia SEM v2
Arturia DX7v
Korg Legacy M1
Padshop Pro
RME AIO
Steinberg UR28M
UR44
MSI x570-A pro MB Ryzen 5 3600x
1tb Firecuda M.2 SSD
32 GB Ballistics DDR4
1TB Seagate hybrid HDD

LBH

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 04:40:18 pm »
Thanks for doing this. Can you please tell me how to import these into DX7v? Just bought it yesterday. Is the pack sysex files? Do I need a sysex library manager?
Just use the DX7 V import feature.

EDIT: Perhaps you can even just place the presets in your DX7 V applications preset folder.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:54:07 pm by LBH »

comsax1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Demo page
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 09:44:30 pm »
Have tried all the suggestions, nothing works DX7v doesn't recognize any of them, after opening DX7v not seeing any of the presets in the program, closing the DX7v, all the presets that I copied to the DX7v presets folder have disappeared. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to import this set.
Help
Ross Humphries
Cubase Pro 10.5.12
AKAI EWI 5000
Halion 6
Ozone 7 Advanced
Neutron Advanced
Arturia SEM v2
Arturia DX7v
Korg Legacy M1
Padshop Pro
RME AIO
Steinberg UR28M
UR44
1tb Firecuda M.2 SSD
32 GB Ballistics DDR4
1TB Seagate hybrid HDD

LBH

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 11:16:58 pm »
Have tried all the suggestions, nothing works DX7v doesn't recognize any of them, after opening DX7v not seeing any of the presets in the program, closing the DX7v, all the presets that I copied to the DX7v presets folder have disappeared. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to import this set.
Help
Have you unzippet the files?
And have you after that tried to use DX7 V's own import function through the DX7 V top panel menu? You can only import one file at a time i think. Not the whole folder.
Please post images on how you import, if you can't make it work. DX7 V can import sysex files.

comsax1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Demo page
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 07:32:05 pm »
Thanks for the help, I had to do a lot of unzipping.
Ross Humphries
Cubase Pro 10.5.12
AKAI EWI 5000
Halion 6
Ozone 7 Advanced
Neutron Advanced
Arturia SEM v2
Arturia DX7v
Korg Legacy M1
Padshop Pro
RME AIO
Steinberg UR28M
UR44
1tb Firecuda M.2 SSD
32 GB Ballistics DDR4
1TB Seagate hybrid HDD

Roydiggs

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 09:24:38 am »
Omg, that's just amazing. Yes thanks for sharing this! I had heard about importing presets and that it was worth the time to do, but to provide this many. O_O

Thanks again!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines