March 28, 2024, 09:46:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Two Keysteps in one DAW via USB - not working  (Read 1407 times)

kazimir6091

Two Keysteps in one DAW via USB - not working
« on: September 21, 2019, 10:33:02 pm »
Hi, Arturia and all. 

I have two Keysteps that I want to connect to my DAW (Sonar).
The DAW sees them both with the same name, but when connected the second one says "the device is already in use".
The same problem with two BeatstepPro, but I asked about this possibility before buying a second and someone from Artoria told me that everything will be OK, but it was not so.
Is there a way to solve this problem by USB?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:41:38 pm by kazimir6091 »

gphantom

Re: Two Keysteps in one DAW via USB - not working
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 07:19:20 pm »
The only thing I can think of, is to set one controller to MIDI CHANNEL 1 and the other to MIDI CHANNEL 2 and see if that works.

LBH

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 08:33:05 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

Perhaps this is about setting up the devices in a way where Sonar see the devices as 2 devices. Like give the devices different names. If they have the same name, then i can't see, how they should be seen as 2 devices. But i don't know about Sonar. I suggest you ask in a Sonar forum.

kazimir6091

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 10:59:00 pm »
Hi2All.
MIDI Channels at anything, the second keystep from the very beginning is not connected to Sonar (I think, and to any other DAW) as has the same name. Rename it inside keystep is only possible through the Windows registry, but that's not for me and wrong.   
I read on the Internet that otherwise this problem is not solved. Sadly. I was Hoping a second keystep would appear in Sonar marked _1 or similar. Strange that Arturia should have misled me.
Spat and Connected all on MIDI. In the future I will be more careful to believe promises.
Good luck to everyone

gphantom

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 01:19:25 am »
If midi channels are at ALL (Anything) then both keysteps will look as though it is one.  Try setting the first keystep to channel 1 (Press the SHIFT button AND the first key which is F1) at the same time.  Then on keystep #2, press the SHIFT button and the second key (F1# which is the black key) at the same time.  This way, you will have two separate keysteps.  You then have to set your DAW to see channel 1 AND channel 2.  It should show that you have two keysteps but I don't know the SONAR Daw.  This is the way it works in Ableton and should work the same way with any DAW that supports more than one controller.

If you still have problems, you could ask technical support in Arturia and/or tech support at SONAR.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 01:21:49 pm »
His problem would seem to be that his PC isn't recognising the second keystep (whichever one he plugs in second). So I'm not sure whether he could simply fix his issue by having the two keysteps on separate midi channels. He still might have a problem that his PC just doesn't recognise the second keystep.

I have access to two keysteps and I have tried to replicate his problem so that I could perhaps offer a solution. But my Macs have no issue with two same controllers plugged in at once and I am able to see them separately.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

gphantom

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 06:41:33 pm »
MajorFubar:  Yep.  I don't know what type of computer he has but I just thought of something...  Many devices refuse to be acknowledged if they're plugged into a USB HUB... Hmmmm, I wonder.
I also have two controllers, The Keystep and the Keylab Essential and there's no problem on my end, whether Windows 7 or 10.

Although he mentions that his DAW sees both,
I have two Keysteps that I want to connect to my DAW (Sonar).
The DAW sees them both with the same name, but when connected the second one says "the device is already in use".
The same problem with two BeatstepPro, but I asked about this possibility before buying a second and someone from Artoria told me that everything will be OK, but

Which is why I'm assuming it's his channel selection.

Kazimir6091:  Try using a different computer or laptop to see if the problem goes away.  If it does, it's a problem with your USB ports.
Also, if you're using a USB HUB, try using separate USB ports directly.

Hope this solves the problem.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines