March 29, 2024, 07:45:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Controlling volume with MicroLab  (Read 5926 times)

Gnarlyheman

• Gnarly
  • Apprentice
Controlling volume with MicroLab
« on: September 22, 2019, 04:53:35 pm »
Hello--
I have acquired the MicroLab, and want to use the controller strip (defaults to modulation) to control volume.
I can change it in MIDI Control Center, but it doesn't seem to function properly.
Any clues?
AKA Gary

LBH

Re: Controlling volume with MicroLab
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 09:04:10 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

it doesn't seem to function properly.
What excactly is happening? Describing the issue in details is important.

I don't have a Microlab, but i assume the Mod will return to middle position when you lift your finger. Perhaps that's you issue (normal behavior), as you sound like you can control the volume with the Mod.

SCo_Arturia

• FW DEV - Cobra Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 09:52:13 am »
Hello Gnarlyheman,

When you change the Modulation wheel configuration in the Midi Control Center, could you please confirm that you press the "Store To" button. If not it will not send the configuration to the Microlab and so not take into account the modification you performed.

@LBH: Only the pitch wheel returns to the middle position when released (like a physical picth wheel), the mod wheel stays to the latest touched value when release (like a physical modultaion wheel)

LBH

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 12:51:24 pm »
@LBH: Only the pitch wheel returns to the middle position when released (like a physical picth wheel), the mod wheel stays to the latest touched value when release (like a physical modultaion wheel)
Thanks for this information.

Gnarlyheman

• Gnarly
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:56:52 am »
When you change the Modulation wheel configuration in the Midi Control Center, could you please confirm that you press the "Store To" button. If not it will not send the configuration to the Microlab and so not take into account the modification you performed.
Yes I did that.
It seems to function like a sustain pedal and turns off the keyboard (or perhaps it has turned the volume all the way down).

BTW, I have used it with a laptop, and also an iPad and iPhone--great little keyboard!
AKA Gary

SCo_Arturia

• FW DEV - Cobra Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 10:23:21 am »
Could you please tell me on which software you want to control the volume?
Changing the wheel configuration to send "volume" message will change the the midi CC. Depending on the software, the volume control could be mapped on an other CC than the one called volume.

For instance in AnalogLab, by default with the MicroLab you can't control the volume (The wheel controls by default the modulation). To do that you can:
1) Modify the wheel to send volume message (you already did that)
2) Change the device used by "Generic midi controller" and then "click" on the gear icon
3) In midi setting, press the "Enter Assign Mode" (all the assignable controls should be over lighted in purple)
4) click on the Volume fader on the screen
5) Move your finger on the touch wheel of the MicroLab
It's a kind of midi learn

Then at this step you can control the AnalogLab volume with the mod wheel.

I tested it on my side and it works

Gnarlyheman

• Gnarly
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 02:33:29 am »
I opened Midi_Ox to see the messages.
It required me to close Sonar 3 (which is the app I am using, which demonstrates the odd behavior).
At first, it was doing the same thing--but then it changed state and I was able to control the volume.
I closed MIDI-OX and opened Sonar, and it again did not work properly.
So the issue is not with the controller, and so is not your problem.
Thanks for your investigation, wonder what I will do?
AKA Gary

SCo_Arturia

• FW DEV - Cobra Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 08:32:42 am »
I think that the best way is to contact the Sonar support and /or dig on FAQ and forum. I guess, they should have a kind of "midi Learn" within Sonar. Maybe having a look to this link could help: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Midi-Learn-and-Automation-m3461598.aspx

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines