March 28, 2024, 02:04:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Harsh Prophet V filter  (Read 4583 times)

PushServer

Harsh Prophet V filter
« on: September 19, 2019, 03:12:05 pm »
As a former Prophet 5 owner I was very surprised when testing the Prophet V after recently purchasing the V collection.

As everyone knows, a Prophet 5 is great at aggressive sounds but a great test for me is whether an emulation can achieve a nice warm, smooth PWM string sound. To my surprise the Prophet V cannot achieve this. The filter maintains a harsh resonant spike when the filter is rolled down, osc are detuned and LFO modulates the pulse width.

Disappointed that I had to buy a German competitor's version that achieves the warm sounds as the typical edgy.

LBH

Re: Harsh Prophet V filter
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 09:23:00 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

I'm interested in knowing what you mean. I have not played a real Prophet my self.

I attach a Arturia Prophet V3 preset. Is that sound what you are looking for, or what is not correct sounding with that? I hope to learn something.
Try different KBD knob settings and to set both OSCs up an octave to get a different tone.

Does this preset sounding harsh to you and not like a Prophet 5?
It's a dry preset (no FX) using the parameters you mention.
The preset is located in LBH bank.

I think in Prophet V3s that very small parameter changes can make a huge difference. I don't know how it was with the original.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 01:42:13 pm »
My two cents...all the Arturia synths are great-sounding plugins but only the new synths introduced from VC6 onwards actually behave and sound like their namesakes.

I'm pretty certain deep down Arturia know that their 'legacy' VSTs like the the Prophet, CS80, ARP, Moog, all need a re-write to make them sound more like their namesakes, because their recent emulations such as the DX7V are in a different league in terms of authenticity. But there is firstly the cost of resources needed to make a full re-write happen, secondly Arturia would then have a rack of new virtual instruments which are incompatible with everyone's existing presets because they don't sound the same.

It's a tough decision.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

LBH

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 10:02:08 pm »
Real Prophet 5 audio examples to compare to any emulation, for anyone who's interested:
Factory presets: https://www.synthmania.com/Prophet-5%20(Rev.3).htm
Other sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvkKJiIJqJ4

I'm allways for better emulations.
I also think in example U-HEs version could be better. I think perhaps Arturias and U-HEs versions can supplement each other. But still there would be room for improovement for an excact emulation i think.

PushServer

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 09:54:18 am »
I'm speaking specifically of a string sound in the lowest octave. Say an E octave. It's pretty clear there.

Yeah, the U-HE version is pretty spot on. I'm happy with it.

Interestingly, the old Pro-53 had nice soft strings as well.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 09:58:57 am by PushServer »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines