March 29, 2024, 11:11:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: ASM Hydrasynth  (Read 3930 times)

endreola

ASM Hydrasynth
« on: September 16, 2019, 05:57:57 pm »
While I patiently wait for Arturia to release thier long-awaited v2 firmware update for its flagship synthesizer, a new board enters the scene, the Hydrasynth from newcomer ASM https://musicplayers.com/2019/09/hydrasynth-ashun-sound-machines-asm-announce-wave-morphing-synthesizer-with-polytouch-polyphonic-aftertouch/

A couple of weeks ago ASHUN SOUND MACHINES (ASM) announced Hydrasynth, a wave morphing synthesizer with POLYTOUCH, polyphonic aftertouch.

ASM's parent company has been around for a while making OEM keybeds for many other companies and now enters the Synth market with thier own synth, albeit digital, and as Glen Darcy (Hydrasynth Product Manager) calls it "Digital, the new Analog".  Well, I guess everyone is entitled to an option.  You may recall the name Glen Darcey, he was recently Arturia's VP Product Management before jumping ship over to ASM.

Back to the Hydrasynth. A pretty interesting synth with many attractive features, is an eight-voice, three-oscillator synthesizer anchored around a unique wave morphing synthesis engine. all make use of any one of the 219 single-cycle waveforms available, and Wave Scan mode facilitates defining eight waveforms into a list and then morphing from one to the next using modulation sources.  Their modulation matrix looks intriguing, very powerful with fairly straightforward design.

Will I dump my MarrixBrute for it, I doubt it, but time will tell.  And speaking of time, that extended warranty I purchased with the MB allowing me to return it for full refund, there's only 7 more months left.  Hopefully Arturia will release the firmware update beforehand.

Also announced was the Hydrasynth Desktop version.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: ASM Hydrasynth
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 01:09:36 pm »
Glen Darcy (Hydrasynth Product Manager)
...who used to be Arturia's Vice President of Product Management. Presumably he now isn't, or surely this would be conflict of interests. So if he isn't, we could speculate forever why he left, but usually when someone of such a senior grade leaves a company it's because they don't like the direction the ship is sailing.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 03:33:21 pm »
That's an interesting synth indeed. I wouldn't mind having one. However, it and the MxB couldn't be much more different - one is not a replacement for the other IMO (there's nothing that's even close to replacing my MxB! :))

BTW, I don't think we should speculate too much about Glen Darcey's motives. He was many years at Roland, Akai and Arturia, and is now moving on. It's what he does. You'll find a bio here and an interview here.

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 05:27:54 pm »
The possibilities of the Hydrasynth are very intriguing.  I've been in the market for a new polysynth for a while but still need to save some pennies.  As Dr. J said there's no way I would sell my MxB to fund it.  The delayed firmware aside, I use the Matrix on nearly every production and is usually the first synth I power on and play in my studio.

indiescore

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 03:12:31 pm »
thanks for sharing this synth is very cutting edge but i think the moog matriarch is much closer to a possible substitute for the matrix brute as they are both analog both excel at bass and have similar voice capability .....crossing my fingers the matrix brute update will bring chord sequencing and ratcheting .....also another post on this thread mentioned the MB is a go to synth ....I find that I go to it a lot and that’s why it has held a spot in my studio .....back to the hydra I might sell my quantum and get the hydra and a GR1 the hydra looks that impressive

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 05:43:58 pm »
.....back to the hydra I might sell my quantum and get the hydra and a GR1 the hydra looks that impressive

How is the Quantum?  That and the Prophet X seem like a lot of fun.

indiescore

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 07:57:59 pm »
.....back to the hydra I might sell my quantum and get the hydra and a GR1 the hydra looks that impressive

How is the Quantum?  That and the Prophet X seem like a lot of fun.

It’s by far the most advanced and easy to use interface , workflow and fx are world class.  It can have a giant sound.  But,  still on the fence .....would like to see more from the granular engine,  wavetables need a lot of EQ to warm up ......waveforms ( square, triangle, saw, etc ) are good .......regarding  2.0 FM engine in development  is very good I am beta testing 2.o....they are working very hard on this update with bi weekly push .....I think FM enthusiasts will be very happy !   

endreola

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 09:49:04 pm »
Good info Indiescore.  I agree, the sounds that it produces is full and dramatic and am thinking it’ll be my next purchase.  So far have only seen it online but would love to get my hands on the feel of the board beforehand.

How is the keyboard?  Cheap-feeling?  Semi-weighted?  Similar to the MB?  Mind providing a comparison?

indiescore

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 10:59:30 pm »
Good info Indiescore.  I agree, the sounds that it produces is full and dramatic and am thinking it’ll be my next purchase.  So far have only seen it online but would love to get my hands on the feel of the board beforehand.

How is the keyboard?  Cheap-feeling?  Semi-weighted?  Similar to the MB?  Mind providing a comparison?

very good, semi weighted a little more resistance than the brute keys.....I couldn’t find one short cut in terms of design, buttons ,  wheels it’s all top notch.....in comparison to what moog is doing with plastic buttons on grandma and matriarch for example ...

endreola

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 11:38:12 pm »

very good, semi weighted a little more resistance than the brute keys.....I couldn’t find one short cut in terms of design, buttons ,  wheels it’s all top notch.....in comparison to what moog is doing with plastic buttons on grandma and matriarch for example ...

Good to know, thanks for the details.

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 11:58:40 pm »

It's funny you mention moog's build choices these days.  I visited the asheville factory about a year ago and got to play all of their new stuff and I couldn't help but feel something was...lacking.  Even compared to the Matrix brute which has plastic knobs and everything, I was expecting something more.  This is in stark contrast to their moogerfooger pedals which are amazing IMO.  They didn't have a moog one on display so I can't comment on that.  I would hope for something that extravagant they would step it up.

indiescore

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 04:30:39 am »

It's funny you mention moog's build choices these days.  I visited the asheville factory about a year ago and got to play all of their new stuff and I couldn't help but feel something was...lacking.  Even compared to the Matrix brute which has plastic knobs and everything, I was expecting something more.  This is in stark contrast to their moogerfooger pedals which are amazing IMO.  They didn't have a moog one on display so I can't comment on that.  I would hope for something that extravagant they would step it up.

yeah it’s interesting on one hand forward thinking design and some good cost values which is great on the other Bob might not have approved....I have a voyager electric blue and until you  put your hands on it you can’t tell how solid and real those instruments are the wood is heavy and the build is unlike anything ...but there is a cost it was about 3,600 new when in production.

endreola

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 05:20:58 am »
A ton of product shipped to the States from China is cheaply made (e.g. Harbor Freight and the like). And it wouldn't surprise me the same to be true in Europe, UK, and other areas.  Product is relatively inexpensive in comparison to local product but you get what you pay for, quality wise. 

In comparison, it sounds like the hydrasynth is an exception, well-built, a ton of features for roughly $1200US and $799US for the desktop model.  And while Im in a comparing state of mind, you can get both hydrasynth board and desktop for roughly the same price of the MB.

Of course we're talking Apples to Oragnes, Digital vs Analog, many will argue the pureness of analog sound over digital, well heck it seemed just like yesterday people up in arms comparing CD quality to magnetic tape, or even to vinyl.

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 06:09:27 pm »
I agree, the hydrasynth seems like a decent build for the money.  The features remind me of my ensoniq ESQ-1 but on steroids which is probably why it caught my eye.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines