March 28, 2024, 10:05:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: VCA Env triggering  (Read 1737 times)

Michael_G

• Apprentice
VCA Env triggering
« on: September 16, 2019, 03:52:04 pm »
Hi All,

Happy Pigment user here, and first post.
Is there a way to prevent the VCA Env from triggering on each sequencer step ? Selecting "mono" or "legato" playing mode in the keyboard tab doesn't help.

Any idea ?

Regards,
Michaël

LBH

Re: VCA Env triggering
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 04:55:40 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

Is there a way to prevent the VCA Env from triggering on each sequencer step ? Selecting "mono" or "legato" playing mode in the keyboard tab doesn't help.
You can't changes Gate Source for the VCA Env like you can for Env 2 and 3, so i wonder about you say you can changes between Mono and Legato for the VCA Env.

Each step on the sequncer act as a note on messages.
You have the TRIGger PROBAbilty in the sequencer. If you set a step to Zero, then it will not trigger the VCA Env.  You can still have sound on the step by setting the previous steps gate high.

If that's not enough, then if you tell an example about what you would like to do, then perhaps there are other ways to achieve a result using all the excisting modulators.

Michael_G

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:35:58 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

Actually I hadn't thought about using your probability setting tip. It doesn't really solve my problem but I'll keep it somewhere in my memory because I'm sure it will prove to be interesting later on.

What I'm trying to do is simply build a short sequence (say 6 notes) which is to be played legato with a short glide between notes. I can easily do it live by choosing "legato" play mode in the "Keyboard" tab. The sound plays monophonically then and I can see the VCA Env is not retriggered on each new note while my playing truly sounds legato.

But I can't achieve this in the sequencer : each step triggers the VCA Env. I don't really understand why triggering behaves differently in the sequencer than in live playing. I've tried to do it with a gate setting higher than 100% for note overlapping (which is actually what I do when live playing).

The sequencer's slide lane is just right for the glide though.

I also must say using a combination of enveloppes and LFOs routed to coarse tuning and output volume with the right trigger settings did the trick but I'd really like to use the sequencer for this.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:37:36 pm by Michael_G »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:12:36 pm »
Your welcome.

You can set playmodes in the play settings in the KEYBOARD section. It's true that affect the VCA Env, if that's what you mean.
And yes this legato does'nt work when using the sequencer. I don't know if that's a bug.
When using the sequencer, then legato playing prevent the sequence to go to step 1. That's good as long as there is'nt a knob to select the go back to step 1 behavior.
The Mode setting in the Play settings is cancelled when using the sequencer. But the Allways button and the Glide Time knob actually work. I can't tell if this is a bug or not. I can see a good use in being able to manually activate the Glide, if it's possible.

Using the Modwheel and other controls can apply glides manually.

I have posted some things involving Trigger and Gate Sources. There are some things i would like to work different and/ or better.
Among other things i think it's strange that the "Seq Start" as Gate Source does'nt work with envelopes as it's selectable. I think it's a bug.
The "Seq Start" as Gate Source in the Functions work so it only trigger when you you play a note manually. But i'm not sure, that this is correct behavior either. But perhaps this also is a possiblity for you. It would be logic if the Gate Source should be set to Legato to make it work like this.
When in ARP mode the same does'nt work for Functions  when playing Legato, but only at a initial note, and also at each step one note. That's more like exspected with the name "Seq Start".
To me it look like something is'nt working as intended. There is'nt consistency.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:21:45 pm by LBH »

Michael_G

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 03:26:22 pm »
I have posted some things involving Trigger and Gate Sources. There are some things i would like to work different and/ or better.
Among other things i think it's strange that the "Seq Start" as Gate Source does'nt work with envelopes as it's selectable. I think it's a bug.
The "Seq Start" as Gate Source in the Functions work so it only trigger when you you play a note manually. But i'm not sure, that this is correct behavior either. But perhaps this also is a possiblity for you. It would be logic if the Gate Source should be set to Legato to make it work like this.
When in ARP mode the same does'nt work for Functions  when playing Legato, but only at a initial note, and also at each step one note. That's more like exspected with the name "Seq Start".
To me it look like something is'nt working as intended. There is'nt consistency.

It seems there is also this kind of problem when the Gate Source is set on any Function. The parameter (say Env 2 or 3) which is to be triggered by the Function 1,2 or 3 triggers always at the start of the selected Function. With the LFOs it works as expected (triggers when the LFO cycle is going up).

LBH

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 11:05:04 pm »
It seems there is also this kind of problem when the Gate Source is set on any Function. The parameter (say Env 2 or 3) which is to be triggered by the Function 1,2 or 3 triggers always at the start of the selected Function. With the LFOs it works as expected (triggers when the LFO cycle is going up).
I'm not sure about this. I would exspect they work the same.
Perhaps the LFO also changes startpoint when the phase is changed, and that's why it behaves as it does. I'm not sure if that's intended or not.

But there is something odd going on with Triggers/ Gate Sources.

Perhaps Arturia will have a look at this area and correct some things in a future update. I hope so.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:06:38 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines