March 29, 2024, 08:12:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: how to use 2 keyboards on AL4  (Read 1786 times)

macAllanKnight

• Apprentice
how to use 2 keyboards on AL4
« on: September 09, 2019, 04:21:23 pm »
hi !
using a keylab 88 and a 61, i'm looking to make some home prese but can't figure out how to use the 2 keyboards separately ;)

gphantom

Re: how to use 2 keyboards on AL4
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 06:48:16 pm »
The way I use both keyboards  (Keylab essential 49 and Keystep 32) is that I might want to use a lower octave for some bass using the keystep 32 and then add some organ at higher octaves.  This way, I don't have to press the OCT+ or OCT- each time.  This gives me the ability of having a virtual 81 key keyboard.

You could set one keyboard to one midi channel such as CH1 and another to a second channel like CH2 which would isolate each keyboard.  This is a good thing if you want to create a multi-instrument where instrument 1 is controlled by keyboard using channel 1 and instrument 2 controlled by keyboard using channel 2.  To do this
1- click on the ANALOG LAB logo in the top left corner
2- click on NEW PRESET
3- Drag the first instrument (I chose "Caspian" as an example which is a SEM instrument) to PART 1 (or click on PART 1 and select the instrument after,
4- Drag the next instrument (I chose "Bolero chord lead" as an example with is a MODULAR instrument) to PART 2
5- Click on MIXER at the top right under STORE
6- Click on MIDI SETTINGS - You'll see the range for a split multi instrument
7- Select the octave range for instrument 1 which is normally C-2 to G8, change the G8 to B1 (as an example)
8- Select the octave range for instrument 2 which is also C-2 to G8 and change the C-2 to C2 (which is above the first instrument

This way, keyboard one controls one instrument of the multi instrument preset you created and keyboard two controls the other.
To finish the preset, click on the SAVE AS... button then SAVE AS MULTI, enter the name you want, the bank, your name as the author, select the template or enter your own name, click on the styles it represents, fill in any comments then click on the SAVE button.

You can always make changes later on as needed, even change the octave range of the keyboards etc etc etc.
Hope this helps.

macAllanKnight

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 09:12:42 am »
thx for your answer. I'm new in that kind of stuff, but i learn ,)

i figure out how to use both of my keys separately (a pad on keylab 88, a lead on 61) and not only by layering them.
I made a user map on MCC for the 61, using chn 2 by default, and using chn 1 on the 88 by default.

BUT AL4 doeesnt accept more than 1 main controller (for example the KL88 set in ALL CHN in midi options) so i cant use the faders or else on the KL 61.

I can only modulate each sounds by using faders or knob on the KL88.

That not really user friendly in live performance, for example playing on the kl61 but modulate cut off, reverb or else with the kl88...

Sorry if it is not clear, i'm thinking in french and have to write in english so ...

Again thx for taking time to answer and helping me !

gphantom

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 06:20:01 pm »
Sorry if it is not clear, i'm thinking in french and have to write in english so ...

Pas de probleme...  Je pense aussi en Francais mais, j'ai perdu 50% de mes mots quand j'ai vecu a Chicago pour 10 ans.  J'ai recupere jusqu'a 85% de mes mots mais, j'ai du chemin a faire.

J'ai controlle deux preset avec deux claviers utilisant le meme canal mais, j'ai un clavier avec les premiers octaves (1 a 3) or l'autre clavier octaves (4 a 7) et j'ai programme le preset multi pour que le premier clavier repond sur octaves 1 a 3 et l'autre clavier octaves 4 a 7 donc, chaqu'un des claviers controlle un seul instrument mais, les controlles de chaque clavier peuvent controller les deux instruments en meme temps.  Y'as d'autres facon d'assigner chaque controlle a un code specifique mais, je ne suis pas rendu a ce point pour le moment.

A force d'experimenter, on trouve des solutions.

LBH

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 09:01:12 pm »
@macAllanKnight

I can add this thoughts. I can't tell for certain, if it will help.

I have'nt tried to use multiple controllers. I would like to believe it's possible to control Analog Lab with multiple controllers at the same time without switching any settings to use both controllers. But i don't know if it is.
It would be nice if Arturia had a FAQ article for this scenario.

First: Be sure you have selected both controllers in the Audio Midi Settings. Then:

1. In a Multi it's possible to select a midi channel for each sound. Please refer to the manual section 3.7.5. The MIDI Settings Button and the sections before that.
So if your keyboards different specific midi channels like midi ch 1 for one controller and midi ch 2 for the other controller, then the sounds should be seperated so you can play the sounds with a full keyboard range.
This will perhaps not solve the problem having both controllers faders and such to work at the same time without changing Analog Labs controller settings. In that case:

2. Have you tried both the KeyLab mkII and the Generic MIDI Controller settings in the bottom panel af Analog Lab?
This will only work if your controllers send out identical MIDI CCs, if it work at all.

3. A different possibility.
Have you tried to use the possibilities you have, if you use Analog Lab in a DAW or other hosts like Gig Performer? Then you can add the use of more than one instance of Analog Lab each assigned to be used with one of your controllers.
That is if it works. So try it out before you buy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:08:54 pm by LBH »

macAllanKnight

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 08:36:54 am »

3. A different possibility.
Have you tried to use the possibilities you have, if you use Analog Lab in a DAW or other hosts like Gig Performer? Then you can add the use of more than one instance of Analog Lab each assigned to be used with one of your controllers.
That is if it works. So try it out before you buy.

Thx you all for your help.

I'm thinking to use a softawre like gigperformer or camelot pro for live event, i think it will be an easier way to use 100% of the software possibilities that way :)

Again thank you !

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines