April 20, 2024, 12:03:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Talk me out of the Arturia V Collection  (Read 1139 times)

JerryTubs

• Apprentice
Talk me out of the Arturia V Collection
« on: September 03, 2019, 01:22:02 pm »
Over the last year, I've gone from a rig mostly built around jamming without a DAW to realizing that I completed no music that way. As a result, I've sold most of my hardware synths and only kept my Blofeld (flexible, great keyboard too) and eurorack (gets my tactile shit down while getting the occasional good thing to sample).

I've commited over more to software because I've found that I am more likely to finish songs when done in the box. I'd found it simultaneously somewhat uninspiring until I started paying monthly for Serum. I've loved that, but have been wanting something else lately to play with...

Queue in Arturia and offering this collection for $250 USD and it seems like a good deal. What I'm looking for is essentially: Why should I not buy this? What are the drawbacks? Why might I regret it? Because I think it's a great purchase, but I'd love to hear otherwise.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Talk me out of the Arturia V Collection
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 01:17:55 pm »
I guess mostly you'd get biased results here because by and large we're all happy customers. At $250 it's great value for money, I think the normal list price is $499 which is still pretty good for what you get.

In terms of pure sound authenticity to the treal instruments, some of their synths are better than others. For example their DX7 is bang on the mark, their Moog and ARP synths are pretty good, but their CS80 is nowhere near close (Memory Moon ME80 is the class leader for an authentic-sounding CS80 clone, but its interface lacks the polish of Arturia's). The acoustic and electronic pianos are okay, but none of them are really good enough to use as leads, Pianoteq V6 blasts them out the water (but it costs way more than V Collection)

When they roll forward to the next version, be prepared to have your wallet raped because they usually want $199 to buy the update, commonly just for two or three new instruments, which doesn't make economic sense. I've learned to skip a version.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 01:19:37 pm by MajorFubar »
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Glutamate

• Glutamate
Re: Talk me out of the Arturia V Collection
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 09:07:59 am »
I really like this. Always follow

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines