April 19, 2024, 02:37:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Modulation of all AUDIO MOD  (Read 1170 times)

waytogo

• Apprentice
Modulation of all AUDIO MOD
« on: August 13, 2019, 08:09:01 am »
Hello together.
I have an issue with modulating the AUDIO MOD knobs and I am wondering if anybody else also does this problem have with the MatrixBrute.

I did the following:
1. I choose the preset A04 (Ricky Lead) - Matrixbrute 01/2017, latest firmware
2. If I turn the 4 AUDIO MOD knobs I can hear different changes of the sound
3. Now I would like to put this turning of the knob to the MOD Wheel like this:
4. I change to the MOD Mode by clicking MOD and I assign the 4 AUDIO Mod knobs to the 4 (13-16 custom mod buttons)
5. I change under the section WHEELS the MOD WHEEL to Matrix mode
6. Then I press H 13 to modulate knob 13 (VCO1 > VCO2) to MOD WHeel and I turn MOD Amount to +99. If I turn on the VCO1 > VCO2 knob I can hear a difference and if I use the MOD Wheel as well. Fine. BUT if I do the same with the other AUDIO MOD mods. For example VCO1<VCO3<VCO2. Turning this knob directly makes also a change in the sound but if I connect this modulation with H 14 (assigned to this knob and now the MOD WHEEL should influence this), I can't hear any change.
Is this a bug?
Thank you very much in advance.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:00:27 am by waytogo »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Modulation of all AUDIO MOD
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 02:52:34 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  :)

It's unclear if you have any bias on those controls - if they are at the zero (middle) position the modulation matrix will not work on them. However if they're slightly turned in the direction of the wanted modulation, without actually engaging it, then it will work. This is because the audio mod knobs that have two modulation options are switches as well as one of two different variable parameters, either the left side parameter or the right side parameter. When not at the zero point it engages one of two selected modulation path, e.g. for  VCO1<VCO3>VCO2 the left side makes the connection VCO3 > VCO 1 and the right side  makes the connection VCO3 > VCO 2, and you can adjust that one modulation path with the knob.

So to enable these parameters to be modulated, there is a small dead band around the 0 position in which the switch for the mod path is engaged, but the actual modulation is not engaged until you turn the knob a little further. To use the matrix to modulate these parameters from zero, you need to have the knob just to the side
of the middle marker. If you audition a VCO while making this adjustment you'll hear a slight momentary change in pitch just as the modulation path is switched in.

The VCO 1 > VCO 2 knob works as any normal knob since it's a single parameter and therefore no switching function is needed.

From section 4.2 in the user manual:
"For the bi-polar knobs to be used in the modulation matrix, you will need to turn the knob in the direction that you want it to modulate when assigning it. There is a small dead zone on either side of the center detent that will allow you to have no modulation but still allow the knob position to be sensed."

waytogo

• Apprentice
Re: Modulation of all AUDIO MOD
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:56:01 am »
Hello DrJustice,
I was already worried about my device but that was is. Great. Thank you very much.

It was the zero (middle) position what was my mistake. I didn't really get it how it is meant in the manual.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines