April 18, 2024, 11:42:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Drift = zero causes Analog Osc's to sync to keyboard gate  (Read 1417 times)

stephenm

• Apprentice
Drift = zero causes Analog Osc's to sync to keyboard gate
« on: August 11, 2019, 10:09:54 pm »
Has anybody else noticed this?  With any amount of "Drift", the oscillators act just like any analog VCO, that is, they are free-running and any keypress will open the VCA with the oscillator at whatever phase it happens to be.

However, with Drift set to zero, the oscillators will sync to their zero-crossing point with each keypress.  This is good for eliminating the random "pop" that happens at low frequencies with very short attack times.  Handy, I think undocumented, and something I wish analog synths would make available.  The only other synth I know of that can do this is the Virus, and it's also not analog.

A minor drawback to this is that if you are using more than one oscillator and they are slightly detuned, you will get an unexpected sync at the start of each note which quickly ends - bottom line, don't turn the drift to zero in this case :-)

LBH

Re: Drift = zero causes Analog Osc's to sync to keyboard gate
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 08:31:03 pm »
A minor drawback to this is that if you are using more than one oscillator and they are slightly detuned, you will get an unexpected sync at the start of each note which quickly ends - bottom line, don't turn the drift to zero in this case :-)
Why? And why is'nt it the same when you don't have detuned osc's?

Is'nt it simply that when drift is a zero, then you have no "drift" no matter the osc's is detuned or not? There is a audioble difference no matter osc's are detuned or not.

The manual dscribe it this way:
"5.1.4.4. Drift (Analog engine only)
The Drift parameter adjusts the amount of variation that happens in the tuning and phase
of each oscillator every time a new note is played. The effect can be very subtle, or it can
make the sound completely unpredictable. You can also remove this from any preset and
save it that way instead.
"

Can one say the analog OSCs actually are behaving as none free running digital OSC's when the drift is zero? Or is there more to it?

One thing  wonder about is if there should'nt also be a little continous pitch drift while a note is held to simulate analog behavior, at least when the drift is above zero, as i like to have the option to turn it off.

I think it's a nice option to have to set drift to zero.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 08:50:23 pm by LBH »

stephenm

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 09:33:49 pm »
If the oscillators are set to detune, with Drift set to zero, every note will start the same, then shortly after the keypress, the detuning takes effect.  Or is that not what it did when you tried it?

LBH

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 03:27:28 am »
If the oscillators are set to detune, with Drift set to zero, every note will start the same, then shortly after the keypress, the detuning takes effect.  Or is that not what it did when you tried it?
Yes you said that in your first post.
No i don't think so, even if i understand your view.
How low detuning settings are you talking about?
Please post a test preset where you experience you have detuned, but does'nt get that detuning from initial keypress.

But this aside, then a point with my "Why" question was, that no matter what, then if i like the clear punchy attack that the zero setting for the drift parameter actually give me, also when i'm using slightly detuned oscilators, then why should i not set the parameter to zero? What's wrong with that? And what's wrong with the behavior if it's about design?
It's a useful possibility, so why have a rule not to use that possibilty?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 03:33:03 am by LBH »

stephenm

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 04:12:38 am »

What's wrong with that? And what's wrong with the behavior if it's about design?
It's a useful possibility, so why have a rule not to use that possibilty?

Why do you think there's something wrong with that?  I've only pointed out how useful this feature is.  If I though something was wrong, I would have posted in "Technical Issues."

LBH

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 01:44:05 pm »
bottom line, don't turn the drift to zero in this case :-)
Do you still mean this?
Is this sayng it's a useful feature in your detune case? Or is it somehow saying there is something "wrong" in turning the drift to zero in that case? I think it can be a useful possibility, that i can turn the drift to zero, also in that case. So i asked - why not do that, if i like to do it? Have you changed your mind about your statement to not turn the drift to zero in the detune case you mention?

How to discuss, when you  is acting like there is an issue, and doesnt respond to the constructive things in my answers, to explore what you write about? You have posted in the generel discussion area as you say.
What's the point with this thread, if you don't wan't to explore what's going on?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines