March 29, 2024, 07:05:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Aftertouch not triggering virtual instrument plugin  (Read 1404 times)

fredmant

• Apprentice
Aftertouch not triggering virtual instrument plugin
« on: August 08, 2019, 12:44:51 pm »
All the presets in AIR's xpand2 plugin offer an after touch control, to change the pitch, the volume, or any of a handful of other modulations. The MK2 61 I have does not trigger this aftertouch modulation. Is anyone else having a problem with aftertouch and virtual instruments? I run the latest Pro Tools.
Thanks

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Aftertouch not triggering virtual instrument plugin
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 01:09:48 pm »
Have you ruled out the possibility that aftertouch is not working on your keyboard? E.g.: Is it working when you run Analog Lab as a standalone? If it's not working at all, the issues you've having with Xpand 2 in ProTools are a red herring.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

fredmant

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 06:08:05 pm »
standalone analog labs running a DX7 Arturia plug in the aftertouch works fine.
Running the DX7 as a plugin still didn't work. Then I did more research and the issue is pro tools default (2019.5) is to filter out mono and poly aftertouch messages, ergo the reason nothing seemed to work in PT. Setup > Midi > Input Filter.

I also found that earlier versions of Midi Control Center had that bug of 0 thru 2 as a min max range, and in fact, it was by default min=2 max=0 which confused me. Here is what I found that works with Analog Lab 3. Go to the midi control center (latest version downloaded today, and today is August 10, 2019) and click the Device tab top right. Then try the following: Key aftertouch min of around 80 and max at around 127. Then pick a aftertouch curve. I find EXPonential forces the least amount of pressure and provides maximum effect earlier than LINear, but Linear is smoother at getting into the range from noticeable to max effect. LOGorithmic seems to require more force than EXP to get there and then shoots to max faster so I don't really like this one.

Save as a user template incase you want to reference in the future.

puremusic

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:31:30 pm »
Yup, DAWs all have their own ways of handling CC messages, some more obscure.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines