April 19, 2024, 04:20:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: keylab 61 essential  (Read 1826 times)

phantom

• Apprentice
keylab 61 essential
« on: July 30, 2019, 02:13:10 pm »
Hello there!

Was looking for this subject after decided to ask it this way. I have a 61 ess., and I'm using it with Ableton live lite 10 and Windows 10. My problem is, that I can not use the midi mapping function.

Any help appriciated.

gphantom

Re: keylab 61 essential
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 05:19:43 pm »
In Ableton Live, you have to go to OPTIONS and then select MIDI MAP.  From there, you need to read the directions in the help section since I don't usually change the map.  Also, did you make sure that you pressed MAP SELECT on the keylab and then select DAW?  this would place the controls to map to the Ableton software.  You don't have a PAUSE button on Ableton though so you can't map anything to that function.

The only thing I mapped was for the Modular V synth which has no mappings for many of the functions I use.

phantom

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 11:08:13 pm »
hey, nice name! :D
I've already tried that, but thx anyway.
Strange thing, that i used a minilab mark 2 as well, and the mapping was a piece of cake using the midi button.
I think something is wrong with my setup, but its still tweakable with the mouse. :P

By the way, what music are you interested in?

gphantom

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 11:13:50 pm »
For one thing, my actual handle is "Green Phantom" which was a CB handle I came up with in the 70's.  When I used my first CB, talking with truckers, I didn't have a handle so I came up with Green Phantom which, was taken from an ad on TV where the "Green Phantom" struck again.  A figure who would quickly pass a table in a restaurant and dropped off a bottle of SCOPE mouthwash for the guy in order that his date wouldn't smell bad breath on the guy so, the Green Phantom saved the day by giving the guy a bottle of mouthwash.  The idea of a phantom who was there one second then gone the next was an interesting idea so I went with it and it's followed me since, on BBSs (a 70s and 80s thing before the internet) and then the Internet alias I used.  Because the first internet I used only allowed 8 characters for an alias, I shortened it to Gphantom.

Music I like, well, most anything that is good.  And I don't mean something that musicians throw together using pre built clips as so many do nowadays.  But mostly Rock, Metal, Electronic, Classic, New Age, Progressive (Emerson Lake and Palmer especially,) Jazz, Blues, Experimental etc.  Still trying to create something interesting, though I have been making a few melodies which will eventually tie together to make a decent arrangement.  Experimented with a few pre-built clips... Good but I feel that it's not genuine.  I prefer actual instrument sounds (guitars, drums, pianos, organs, brass as well as Synths like Modular V.)  I don't have enough time todate to get really involved in music making for now but, I'm going through all the sounds in AL4 and building my own banks to sort everything by instrument type (like Strings(Plucked) or Strings(Bowed) and others including FX, PADS and so on for the future.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 11:18:11 pm by gphantom »

phantom

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 11:30:42 pm »
Definitely my nickname came after yours. :D
BBSs? I foudn smthg like broker booth support system? An ex broker with artistic tendencies?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 01:17:14 pm »
BBSs? I foudn smthg like broker booth support system? An ex broker with artistic tendencies?
Bulletin Board System, you noob!  ;D It was the 80s precursor to internet forums
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

phantom

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 12:30:02 pm »
Well… what 'd happen to the World without noobs?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 01:08:00 pm »
:-D
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

gphantom

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 07:11:34 pm »
Actually, I was a co-founder of a computer club in, oh, let's say, 1976 and, with members of another club, had discussed the idea of a bulletin board so that different computer clubs could exchange ideas, using an analog whatsamacallit (can't remember the name... Oh yea, accoustic coupler) a phone (land line back then) which was placed on the accoustic coupler after dialing the BBS or university or other sites at the time then using the server to do things like write messages, reading public messages, reading and writing private messages ad infinitum.  No photos, no music or other audio stuff, no files, no links to other messages and so on.  We exchanged writings at a whopping 30 characters per second...  Ahhhh the good ol days.
I eventually wrote my own BBSs, one was the "language forum", a play on words since in Quebec, there was a big todo about French versus English but, my BBS was about programming languages where each forum discussed things like Pascal, Basic, Assembler, Forth, C(ugh), AI and such.  Ran it for 10 years, sometimes kept in my bedroom, listening to the modem kick in as someone called into it.
I had experimented with a graphics supported BBS where you could draw circles, squares, triangles, lines and others inside of your text messages which was done quickly, even at 30 baud by sending coded data to a host which was written as well, to be able to decode the codes.  The server would determine if the host supported the graphics or not and either send text only or graphics with text...  Those early years  of experimentation....
Then there was a HAL9000 based BBS which carried on a conversation with the caller via text where it would have responses like:  "I'm sorry chuck but, I'm afraid I can't do that" and other HAL9000 sayings which were randomized based on the interactions.
Then there was another BBS that consisted of several blocks of codes which would be called upon by each program so that, if you wanted to write a private message, the program would call that particular block of code, if you wanted to read a public message, another block of code was called (more specifically, would be passed on to from the caller block of code) and so on.  One block would answer the incoming call, another would hang up etc. etc.  THIS WAS NOT WINDOWS BUT IN DOS USING QUICKBASIC.  I had also wrote it so that it could actually handle multiple callers, in DOS.  Each block could be written in different languages, even DOS COMMANDS and also a few blocks were written in PROLOG (remember that one?)
Then came  AL GORE who popularized the internet for the masses and at that point, BBSs simply died out.
I miss those early experimental systems and designing my own programming languages...

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 01:34:57 pm »
Yeah but I don't miss acoustic couplers :-)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines