March 28, 2024, 01:54:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Trying To Understand Synthi V  (Read 3096 times)

98bpm

• Apprentice
Trying To Understand Synthi V
« on: July 26, 2019, 07:08:24 am »
OK, I just bought Synthi V and think it's awesome.  I've got basic understanding of synthesis and I'm trying to figure out how the patch "On The Run" works.  Getting the tone and the sequence is fine, but I don't understand how to control the noise (hi-hat) sound in the sequence. 

I can tell that in the Advanced Features section, the Modulations tab has Noise Level assigned at full level for the Mod Wheel and the Step Sequencer seems to retrigger every pulse regardless how many steps there are in the step sequencer grid.

What I don't understand is what is telling the Step Sequencer to keep repeating the first step? 

Secondly, there appears to be an accent on the noise sound that sounds like a hi-hat playing 16th notes.  What is controlling that and what would I do if I wanted to change the pattern from straight 16th notes?

LBH

Re: Trying To Understand Synthi V
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 05:21:17 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

If you look in the front pin matrix, then you see that there is a pin that route the noise into the ring mod B, and a pin that route the ring mod to the output ch 1.
The sequencer is pinned to the ring mod A.
With this routing you can control the level of the noise high hat with the RING MOD level.
You can also use the NOISE GENERATOR parameters to alter the sound, but not to remove the "hat" completely.

It look like the Sequencer output an accent when diode 1 and 3 is reached. This affect the ring modulator.

About how to use the sequencer i recommend you read the manual. The used sequencer is not the step sequencer, but the sequencer that emulate the original Synthis sequencer. It's more like a tape recorder. The sequence length affect both the "hihat" and the notes speed.
You can try and exsperiment using different routings to create ratchetings effects of some kind or something like that for the "hat".
Or perhaps there are ways to use the step sequencer or LFO  or do something else to add steps to the "hat". But that perhaps require you rebuild the whole sound.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:58:10 am by LBH »

98bpm

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 05:47:51 am »
Thank you for the feedback.  After  night of sleep, I came back to it again.  After some noodling around, I think I understand it slightly better.  In the Advanced section, the step sequencer automatically goes back to the first step each time a new note is triggered.  This is true for both notes from m MIDI keyboard as well as the Synthi's keyboard sequencer.  I still don't really understand how the Ring Modulator creates the accent for the hi hat (noise) sound.  I'll be experimenting more, so hopefully more pieces of the puzzle will come together.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 12:42:26 pm »
The preset "On The Run" that you ask about is not using the Sequencer in the extended synth mode. It is using the "original" keyboard just above the keyboard. The Keyboard Sequencer.

In the Advanced section, the step sequencer automatically goes back to the first step each time a new note is triggered.
The step sequencer in the extended synth mode have a "Free run" button. When activated the step sequencer run all the time.

I still don't really understand how the Ring Modulator creates the accent for the hi hat (noise) sound.
As said -, it seems like there is an accent when the used sequencer above the keyboard is hitting diode 1 and 3. I think that's just how it is. I can't explain why.

98bpm

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 11:01:50 pm »
I think I understand this "On The Run" preset a little better now.  As far as the accent is concerned on the hi-hat (noise) sound, I believe it to be the jump in control voltage from the keyboard between keys/notes played.  Larger intervals trigger stronger accents.  I tested this by setting up the Default preset with the same pin matrix settings as the On The Run patch and simply recorded a pattern into the Synthi's sequencer with small intervals from E to A on the keyboard.  The resulting noise (hi-hat) pattern was noticeably different. 

Thanks for looking at this with me.  Never owned a synth like this before.  New to Arturia as well.  I feel like I've learned something. ;D

LBH

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 04:00:43 pm »
I feel like I've learned something. ;D
That's a good thing. Have fun.  :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines