March 28, 2024, 02:33:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sequencer  (Read 3399 times)

bertog

• Apprentice
Sequencer
« on: May 15, 2019, 08:01:00 pm »
Hi there,

There's some tutorials or tip for the Synthi V sequencer? How to record a sequence in a proper way? There's some kind of step recording?

Sorry but the manual is a bit poor on this topic.

Guido

LBH

Re: Sequencer
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:18:42 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

Arturi has maitained the original thinking in the sequencer.
A Synthi V sequence is allways 256 events. The rest is about the time it take for this events to take place.
So you does'nt set the sequence length by steps but by time. The set time will allways have 256 events.
You can't step record. The sequence is recorded and played back just like play. No quantizing. It's like recording using a tape recorder except you can change pitch and the pitch is not affected by the tempo.

A metronome for sync tempo sequences could be a help. But what you can do is to play a sequence in a certain tempo and then look at the 4 lamps that show the tempo. There will allways be 256 events in one round of lamps. Once you have this tempo you do your playing according to that tempo.
Also you can use Synthi in a DAW, and then use the DAWs metronome.
WHen you use the sequencer in free running mode, then you adapt the tempo to whatever you need to adapt to.

When the sequencer is stopped, then when you press Record, then Synthis sequencer is being cleared and await you press a note before it start running and record. You can overdub the sequence.
If you press record while a sequence is playing, then you don't clear the sequence, but you can overdub.

It will clearly take some practice to use this sequencer. You can record in one tempo and then change the tempo for playback, if you wish. It's allways possible to change the tempo of a sequence.

The sequencer work like the old did, but have also added a sync feature.

Hope this helps, even though the manual in a way say the same. There are further info in the manual.

You can exsperiment. You can also wish for a tutorial.

I found this short video that show, it can take some practise to use the Synthi sequencer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsLg2wr0CnY

bertog

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 08:25:44 am »
Thanks LBH for the very precise explanation, now is a lot more clear the behaviour :)

Another question if is possibile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ155KLFoQM

In this video Alessandro Cortini seems to use the sequencer in a "some kind of guided random mode" to drive an oscillator, and the keyboard to drive the other VCO. I tried yesterday night this configuration without success. In the matrix I've pinned the sequencer to the OSC1 and the keyboard to the Osc2, but every time I tap a key on the keyboard Osc2 move to the keyboard note and the revert back to the note played by the sequencer.

I've done something wrong or is the correct behaviour and the sequencer have priority on the keyboard?

I've read somewhere that the Cortini's Synthi was somekind of hybrid ... so maybe this is the reason of the different behaviour

Thanks in advance. Guido

LBH

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 02:01:44 am »
Glad it helped.

I've done something wrong or is the correct behaviour and the sequencer have priority on the keyboard?
It look like the "Sequence Transpose" disconnect the keyboard from other things than just transposing a sequence.

This make the "Envelope Shaper" trigger switch settings "Keyboard" and "Both" of no use, when the "Sequence Response" is activated. The "Keyboard" position produce no sound at all, and there seems to be no difference between the "Both" and the "Sequencer" positions.
The Keyboard does'nt trigger anything in the Matrix either.

I don't know, if this is a bug. It look like it to me. But as the recorded sequence is transposed so the deapest note in the sequence is the note played, then it perhaps is done by a keyboard transpose, and thus it can make a keyboard pitch sound wrong unless the lowest note in the recorded sequence is the middle C note, as that note seems to be the root note for the tuning/ transpose.
Anyway i think it would be correct, if one could use both transposed pitch for a sequnce and a corrrect keyboard pitch at the same time.

When the "Sequence Transpose" is deactivated all the "Enveloper Shaper" trigger switchs positions work.

If i understand you correct, then you should not activate the "Sequence Transpose" as it is.
In your case i think you shall set the "Envelope Shaper" to "keyboard" position.
- Now any "OSCs" in the Matrix with a pin in the "Keyboard" and "Sequencer" connections to control the pitch will be triggered by the Sequencer and follow the pitch from a played note on the keyboard. (Just keep in mind, that in this position the sequence recorded pitch is allways played, when you play the middle C on the keyboard.)
- A "OSCs" in the Matrix with a pin in the "Keyboard" will not respond to the Sequencer but to the Keyboard.
- A "OSCs" in the Matrix with a pin in the "Sequencer" will not respond to the Keyboard but to the Sequencer.
- A "OSCs" in the Matrix with no pins to control the pitch will not respond to pitches from either the Keyboard or the Sequencer but like all the other OSCs the pitch can still be controled using the OSCs "Frequency" parameter.

So you can in example have:
- one OSCs where the pitch is controlled by the Sequencer - (and also let the sequence pitch be controlled by the Keyboard, if you wish, as i don't think this is done in the video.)
- one OSCs where the pitch is controlled by the Keyboard
- And one OSCs where you only control the pitch using the OSCs own Frequency parameter.

I think that should cover what you hear in the video, with one instance of Synthi.

I think this is a little complicated to describe. I hope i have done it correct, and that my observtions is correct.

EDIT: Also keep in mind, that you also have the possibilities in the extended section.  EDIT END
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:42:00 am by LBH »

bertog

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:23:17 am »
Thanks LBH!!

Very kind and precise information and explanation. This evening I give it a try and I let you know.

Guido

bertog

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 10:31:45 pm »
Well,

Thanks to all the explanation I've nailed my patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMT3kVYfopA

Many thanks!

Guido

LBH

Carbonate design by Bloc