March 29, 2024, 03:50:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: 8 Voice Programmer - Reassign mode  (Read 2727 times)

Jon Donson

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
8 Voice Programmer - Reassign mode
« on: July 24, 2019, 05:51:46 pm »
Sounds like a possibility to rearrange step order of the 8VoiceProgrammer (would be nice to have it  :))
Anyone here who knows what it does and how to use it?

LBH

Re: 8 Voice Programmer - Reassign mode
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 09:03:23 pm »
Arturia write this on their product website:
""Reassign" mode for the 8-Voice Programmer (like in the original one, the SEM V will first use the boards that are not gated in its voice assignment)"

I think it's about this:
In the original SEMs each voice had a module. That meant that each voice/ module normally sounded at least a little different from the other voices/ modules, unless you had the excact same settings for each module. This could also be used to give each voice/ module a totally different sound.

In Arturias version you have one module that can handle multiple voices. The 8 voice programmer can in this regard make it up for multiple modules, as each "step" can have different settings.

Now try this example:
A.
1. Set the Arpeggiator to off.
2. Select the mode "FWD" for the 8 voice programmer.
3. Now strum 3 notes and hold them - (keep the gates open.)
4. Lift one finger and press a note again. You will see that the used  "step" in the programmer move FWD.

B.
1. Set the Arpeggiator to off.
2. Select the mode "REASSIGN" for the 8 voice programmer.
3. Now strum 3 notes and hold them - (keep the gates open.)
4. Lift one finger and press a note again. Now you'll see that the same "step" in the programmer is used for the new voice. It reassign.

This can be used to allways have a certain "step/ module" to be assigned to a certain note number you play in a strummed chord played like above.

I don't know if this is what Arturia mean. It make some sort of sense. But i'm noy sure how the original handled modules. Like could a certain note be assign to a certain module. If so, then that also would be a feature i would like to have.

I furthermore don't know if gates was/ is open when on release in the original. But i would find it great, if there was a choice to include release time, so a step/ module was'nt reassigned a voice while in the release phase, and a choice to not include the release time.

I'm not sure the REASSIGN mode work like intended - especially when you have the arpeggiator on.  It only use the 2 first steps in the Programmer no matter how many notes you play.

I think most things can be done using the features in the 8 voice programmer incuding the on/ off for each "step". But i'm not completely sure about that either. There are many possibilities.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:19:54 pm by LBH »

Jon Donson

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 05:48:12 pm »
Thanks LBH!
So Rearrange doesn't mean that you can rearrange step order, but to have sound on the same 'board' when you play additional notes.
Obviously Arturia wanted to combine the arpeggiator (which the original didn't have) with Oberheim 2/4/8 Voice' unique ability to have different sound parameters on any of the 2/4/8 modules.

Btw I just watched the real SEM 8 Voice in action - gosh, what a beast  :D

LBH

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 12:14:18 am »
Good you posted the video and the image.
I had forgot that video. Have seen it a long time ago. The video actually explains some things.
Nice little synth and so fast and easy to program.  ;D

It look like Arturia have had the plan to make SEM V to be able to work like the 2, 4 and 8 voice SEMs with sequencer, but for some reason it's not fully implemented yet, even if it's possible to imitate most things somehow.

Jon Donson

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 10:08:28 am »
maybe they had usability in mind when designing the SEM layout..
Nice little synth and so fast and easy to program.  ;D
let alone that it would be difficult to have all parameters of 8 SEMs on screen  8)

Arpad Bodis

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 09:14:02 am »
It's a bit annoing that the don't have a simple retrigger mode in the voice programmer.
I hit a key - 8 voice programmer plays.
I hit another key - the sequence continues. NAH, i JUST WANT IT TO RESTART!
--> Can't be done

Arpad Bodis

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 09:16:48 am »
Ok, It's the FWD RETRIG -- so that can be done : )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines