March 28, 2024, 03:24:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Very unstable sync from Ableton live to Beatstep Pro  (Read 4439 times)

steflef

Very unstable sync from Ableton live to Beatstep Pro
« on: May 06, 2019, 01:57:17 pm »
Greetings ! First post here and unfortunately with a serious problem.
I have recently acquired a new laptop, Lenovo Legion Y740 15ICHg
It is running Ableton Live 10 standard, bought license.
I am running into serious issues syncing my beatstep pro to Ableton, I am getting a LOT of jitter, the displayed tempo on the BSP while in USB mode varies between 119 and 145 bpm for a tempo of 130 bpm in Ableton. I am sequencing and clocking a whole modular setup from the BSP, and at the moment, it is completely unuseable, the jitter is very noticeable.

If I plug the same BSP with the same USB cable into my Mac mini, and run Ableton 9, the sync is perfect, no audible jitter, and the bpm display on the BSP is not moving from 130bpm.

I can deduct from this that it is indeed coming from my Lenovo laptop. I have installed the latest drivers for the BSP and updated the firmware.
Have you heard of this issue before, or is there a way to fix this ? At the moment I am unable to use this setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Cheers

momodig

• Apprentice
Re: Very unstable sync from Ableton live to Beatstep Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 12:10:02 am »
I kind of have the same issue, but it happens if I use ableton or just through devices... when the bsp is the main clock, I hit play and all the sequences kinda jump to the 2nd step really fast, not at the proper bmp... if have to stop and repeat a two or three times before it finally plays right... very annoying.

MultipleChoice

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 09:34:29 pm »
Hey there...

Actually this is a MIDI-jitter problem you can spend years to find out how to get rid of this...
To potentially save you my journey:
1. Some DAW's are sending more stable clocks, than others.
2. Macs tend to be more stable, since MIDI is prioritized higher in their OS-handling.
3. Also MIDI via USB is way worse (like really unusable sometimes) than the MIDI-out of a sound interface.

The steadiest solution I can recommend to anyone with any system and DAW:
https://expertsleepers.com/usamo.html

It is a little device that converts audio signals into MIDI. Since Audio should never drop out in your DAW, it is the most stable and easy to synchronize device ever.
Mind though that you need one (mono) routed audio-out-channel though for that.

Also mind, that the BeatStep can ONLY be synced via USB. The BS Pro is no problem at all... you can actually even send some clicks from a sampler in your DAW directly to CLOCK IN and distribute the rest of the MIDI/CV sync from there. Then you use your BeatStep Pro actually as an USAMO and it can become redundant... depending on your setup.

shmuelyosef

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 02:38:46 am »
I kind of have the same issue, but it happens if I use ableton or just through devices... when the bsp is the main clock, I hit play and all the sequences kinda jump to the 2nd step really fast, not at the proper bmp... if have to stop and repeat a two or three times before it finally plays right... very annoying.
Try going into MCC and setting the <Transport> to OFF
I had a similar problem with Reaper and this fixed it. Don't know exactly what that button does because the transport still works fine, but turning the switch off made my startups crisp and as expected

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines