March 29, 2024, 06:21:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Modulation wheel from MIDI  (Read 2088 times)

eaman

• Apprentice
Modulation wheel from MIDI
« on: September 06, 2019, 03:58:58 am »
When I use an external keyboard I get that the modulation wheel has no use.
 Most midi keyboards don't have aftertouch, usually preset made for the MicroFreak keyboard are designed with aftertouch in mind and not velocity: it would be nice if midi modulation wheel could be translated to MicroFreak aftertouch so we can keep the functionality of the presets while using a MIDI master keyboard.

Moho

• Apprentice
Re: Modulation wheel from MIDI
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 12:58:58 am »
Why not use a keyboard that lets you change the mod wheel CC#
Then you can control any of the 19 CC's on the Freak, or if you don't mind a computer being involved see this post
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=92674.0 just a little app to turn mod wheel into aftertouch  :)

eaman

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 06:13:54 pm »
Unfortunately, my keyboard doesn't allow me to reconfigure MIDI stuff, yet as "everything else" (like pitch wheel) just works modulation was the only "stopper", so I felt it was worth to have one single option that can solve the problem on the MicroFreak and make small / cheap controller keyboards usable without using an external host.

Yet that small midi utility does the trick, thanks again.

BTW  it's so good to have control over "pressure" without the capacitive aftertouch: sometimes is decent, sometimes my finger just don't want to connect and licking my finger all the time it's not very appealing.

eaman

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 10:57:55 am »
Afer messing with this for some time I have to say it does not work:

• Re mapping mod wheel to aftertouch in a DAW is a pain
  • Aftertouch is momentary, it does not affect new notes you hit after moving the wheel. Modulation by wheel is supposed to be a permanent modifier

So the best route IMHO would be to make modulation (as in the output of a midi mod wheel) a modulation source like aftertouch, or if possible as the MF has no mod wheel to let an external midi modulation to overwrite aftertouch.

I hope that in a possible MiniFreak Arturia will ditch the capacitive keyboard (both velocity and aftertouch are unreliable)  and use a modulation wheel.

tbn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 09:57:50 am »
May I sugest this implementation: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=94993.0

Implementation suggestion:

-If you press the lit icon key (spice, dice or bend) all three lights go out and the touch strip functions as mod wheel
-When adjusting any matrix point while holding "Shift" you adjust not the normal matrix point amount, but a dedicated "Mod wheel amount".
-Mod wheel should send / receive cc01
-Utility-preset setting: MW always returns to 0 when releasing Touch strip OR MW remains at last held value when releasing finger
-Possibility to record the modwheel as one of the motion sequences????

If the CPU power is available for this, it would graetly expand the modulation possibilities, as well as the integration with external hardwarecontrollers. This way you could "morph" a whole preset, just by using the "mod wheel"

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 09:59:44 am by tbn »

eaman

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 05:47:35 pm »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines