March 28, 2024, 02:11:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Installation Question  (Read 5510 times)

samicide

Installation Question
« on: January 02, 2018, 11:58:48 pm »
Hi, I just upgraded to the awesome V6 and had a question,

After installing I see the folder is about 8GB. (Windows10) My C Drive is only 128GB and my D drive is 1TB. I was wondering if there would be any problems if I moved my VSTplugins folder AND the program data folder to the D drive. Normally I just put samples and audio on the D drive but I'm considering reinstalling everything again from the beginning but this time putting the plugin folder and data folders onto the D drive.
So basically my plan would be to install all plugins and their data to the D drive and leave the C drive as light as possible, does this seem like a problem? Maybe it might make things load a half a second slower but I don't mind.
Is there any problem if I do this?

Thanks in advance,
sam

LBH

Re: Installation Question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:38:26 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

In generel i would recommend you install your programs on the C drive, unless you know what you are doing. It can be done, but i suggest you study how to do it properly, before you do it, so you know about what you should look out for and avoid complications. I'm not an expert.

However - VST3 plug-ins is installed on a fixed folder on the C drive i believe. I don't think you can change that install path.

You can install other plug-ins where you wan't to. Just be sure to set a path to them in your DAW so it's able to find and use them.

It's easy to need more space on other drives too.

samicide

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:28:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I was worried that it might decrease stability or dramatically increase cpu usage or similar but it seems like there’s no harm in doing it as long as there’s no user error setting paths etc.

The main reason I wanted to do this is because when I look under program data on the c drive the Arturia folder is almost 8GB when the install finished.

I’ll give it a try.

Thanks

Benest

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:42:09 pm »
@ samicide,
Did you succeed in moving  your folders on D: ?
I have the same problem as you. More than this, my SSD drive is nearly full with Arturia products's installation (only 1Gb remaining) and my DAW's got some problems to work well.

@ arturia team
It should be pretty good if the installer was asking for a place for the datas besides the plugins.
Another good point should be to have the hability not to install the 32bits plugins

rob762x51

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 11:08:39 am »
I'm not sure if this thread is still current. It's August 2019 now and I found no option to install Arturia plug-ins on an external drive or partition other than the operating system. I wrote Arturia and they replied you can not install on anything other than the OS. Disappointed, I looked at the sparse "Arturia Software Center" program's (gear icon) settings and found "Silent Install" was enabled. I disabled it and now- after downloading the compressed files- it opens a menu where you can assign install and disable components. I'm using Win10 and Win7. I'm sure someone noticed this prior to me... Even Arturia didn't mention it, however.

Summary:
Disable "Silent Install"

Who would add such a feature?
-Rob

LBH

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 01:11:28 pm »
I'm not sure if this thread is still current. It's August 2019 now and I found no option to install Arturia plug-ins on an external drive or partition other than the operating system. I wrote Arturia and they replied you can not install on anything other than the OS. Disappointed, I looked at the sparse "Arturia Software Center" program's (gear icon) settings and found "Silent Install" was enabled. I disabled it and now- after downloading the compressed files- it opens a menu where you can assign install and disable components. I'm using Win10 and Win7. I'm sure someone noticed this prior to me... Even Arturia didn't mention it, however.

Summary:
Disable "Silent Install"

Who would add such a feature?
-Rob
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

You can't change the install path for VST3s.
And you can't change the install path for all those files that are installed in the hidden folders ProgramData, and that's all the presets and samples.
So all in all there is'nt much space to save by changing the install paths.

Disabling the Silent install will give you the option to change path for VST2, and the standalone applications, but not for their content, and you have to do it one at a time. The Silent install offer an option to not get all those popup windows and is a feature many wan't, as they find the install popups annoying. It's a good feature. I actually think the SIlent install option is disabled by default, unless that has changed because of complains about the popups.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines