March 28, 2024, 06:03:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: VCA envelope (ENV 1)  (Read 2057 times)

bobulus

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
VCA envelope (ENV 1)
« on: July 12, 2019, 01:58:21 am »
Hi all....

First post. Has anyone run into this problem? Whether I bring up a factory preset or fiddle with my own patches, any with a short attack that I have pulled up will switch to a slow attack after playing a few keys or twiddling an unrelated knob or whatever. If I bring up the envelope tab I can see it just jump on its own and reset the attack time to a longer value. If it happens simply in response to keys being played on a midi controller, an asterisk appears after the patch name as soon as the VCA gets reset indicating the patch has been edited.

This is quite puzzling to say the least, and when I did a quick peruse thru the posts I didn't see anyone with a similar problem, though I could have missed it. This happens running Pigments standalone or inside my DAW.

Here's what I'm using

MIDI controller is a Roland A-800PRO
Windows 10
DAW is Cakewalk by Bandlab (former SONAR user).

LBH

Re: VCA envelope (ENV 1)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 02:30:06 am »
Hi,

Can you please name a factory preset where you exsperience your sound issue?

An asterisk show if something have been changed, also even if it's only a momentary change like using the modwheel or similar. 

bobulus

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 06:09:06 pm »
Plucky Stab would be one. Claviventures is another. Anything with a short attack actually.

I managed to get a before and after shot of a patch called Plucked Echo (it was a race to get the before shot!). If you compare the screen shots, you'll see the envelope attack has been lengthened.

Not only does the envelope change on its own, but once it moves the attack phase initially, the vca then seems to change the attack slightly as the patch sits there. The attack time sort of floats through a small window of millisecond changes. To be specific, it initially bumps the short attacks to around 600ms. Then it starts floating around that 600 millisecond attack range.

The only external thing I have sending MIDI signals is the controller keyboard. Everything else is turned off. My mouse and keyboard are wireless......that's the only semi-unusual thing about the PC setup. It's a desktop, not a laptop for what that's worth.

I recorded a few bars in my DAW with Pigments. I've attached the event list. What seems to be happening is control message 73 is being sent by something. It controls the attack, so that makes sense at least. During the recording I touched nothing.....not the computer nor the controller keyboard. As this happens when Pigments is run standalone as well, I don't think the DAW is the culprit.

I also have a Kurzweil K2600 to use as a controller. After sending this, I'll unplug the A-800 and use the Kurzweil as the controller and see if the same thing happens. I'll let you know the results.

Thanks for the quick reply. Please let me know if I can provide anything else.

Other than this little glitch I'm quite impressed with the synth. You did a great job on the UI.

Thanks,
Bob

LBH

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 06:54:03 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply. Please let me know if I can provide anything else.

Other than this little glitch I'm quite impressed with the synth. You did a great job on the UI.
Please keep in mind, that i'm not from Arturia. I'm a user.
To be sure to get in contact with Arturia support, you'll have to contact support through your account.

What seems to be happening is control message 73 is being sent by something.
----
I also have a Kurzweil K2600 to use as a controller. After sending this, I'll unplug the A-800 and use the Kurzweil as the controller and see if the same thing happens. I'll let you know the results.
Yes based on your images it's a good idea to try another controller.
As you say, then somethings seems to send out data on midi CC73. Your issue is not something i can confirm happen by it self in Pigments. The issue does look like it's because some data somehow is send to Pigments from your equiptment. So the controller might be the culprit.

Midi-ox can help you to see, if your controller are sending out midi data: http://www.midiox.com/
I can suggest you try it.
It look like it's a kind of random behavior, so you have to test untill something happens, that you can identify.

Hope this helps to find out what's going on.

Best

bobulus

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 08:01:45 pm »
Here's an update. I think I may have fixed the problem, though not sure why what I did fixed anything.

When I tested with the Kurzweil as the only active MIDI keyboard, the envelope VCA was fine. Stayed right where it was supposed to be. So I figured it must be something weird with the Roland controller.

So I changed the MIDI settings in Pigments. My A-800 advertises 2 outputs (MIDI 1 and 2). I had both checked. I unchecked '2' and the problem seems to have gone away. What's a little weird is I also have Arturia's Mimimoog. That also had MIDI 1 and 2 selected and I tested that VST with the same controller and no unexpected Attack Change MIDI messages appeared (or at least the Attack did not change during the test).

So for now at least it looks like I'm good to go. Thanks for the help.

Bob

LBH

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 08:45:46 pm »
Your welcome.

Thanks for reporting back.

Glad you got it sorted out.

On Mini V midi CC73 is by default the Filter Contour Attack Time. So it's might not be as apparant, as if it was on the Loudness Contour Attack Time.

Best
LBH

bobulus

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 10:15:08 pm »
Re the Mini V.....yes, I probably wouldn't notice the filter changing if the changes weren't drastic. Wasn't listening for that....just the plucky ones! But that makes sense and helps clear things up.

I think I realized you weren't necessarily an Arturia guy soon after I sent my first reply. First post ignorance on my part. It is a nice UI though :D

Thanks again for the help.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines