April 25, 2024, 06:36:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: 0 volt issue  (Read 1225 times)

pipo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
0 volt issue
« on: June 30, 2019, 01:14:23 pm »
I need to understand this.

I spent the all morning trying to understand why an offset was applied to the input on my module, always thinking I had something wrong in my attenuator circuit. Finally scoped the output of the BSP playing on the pad the lowest C, lowest octave and it's not 0V. This is the issue.

If I'd turn the potentiometer from step button full CCW, then the pitch output is 0V.  This is right.
But if I play on the pad (lowest C, lowest octave), than there's an offset at the pitch output, which makes it impossible to control accurately a parameter via CV on a modular system via pads, so you could be able for instance to play on the pads to select the different parameters.

In the device settings I set the CV/Gate parameter for "Seq1 0V MIDI Note" to "C-2" for instance, but it only affects the seq buttons (the potentiometers), and the pitch output of Seq1 is not making 0V if I play the lowest pad note, because no matter what you set, there's always an offset on the pad.

So the question is: how to set the lowest note ON THE PAD to be 0 volts???

EDIT: I hope it's clear that my question is not related to tuning, but to the voltage of the lowest note at the output of the BSP when a pad is pressed.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:34:47 pm by pipo »

pipo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: 0 volt issue
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 01:40:11 pm »
Maybe I should switch to controller mode and check how to set CC on each pad, to overwrite the pad setting. I guess a 0 MIDI parameter on lowest pad should output a 0V.
I'm gonna try this.

EDIT: stupid idea. Controller mode is not gonna change the CV output of the BSP as it's for MIDI.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:55:35 pm by pipo »

pipo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 03:42:00 pm »
So the question remains:
how to set the lowest note ON THE PAD to be 0 volts?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 05:01:48 am »
You need to transpose the Seqs as low as they will go then the bottom C will transmit as 0v.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

pipo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 10:43:30 pm »
You need to transpose the Seqs as low as they will go then the bottom C will transmit as 0v.
Transpose the seqs?
But it's the pad I'm referring to.
I am speaking of playing the lowest note by pressing a pad, without playing the sequence.
The pots for each step can go to 0V, not the pad.

When in my question I mention the lowest note, it's the lowest note supposed to transmit 0V.
It is not necessarely C-2 actually (2 octaves lower than C0), you could theoretically set it to C0 or C1 or whatever in the DEVICE SETTINGS, though to make it simple I did reset the BSP before asking here and the lowest note is C-2 (means transposed down 2 octaves).

I press the lowest note ON THE PAD. Lowest means you need first to transpose 2 times to the left to reach the lowest octave if you were orginally on octave 0, means the lowest note is now set to C-2 (C minus 2). But there's always an offset on the lowest note. It never starts from 0V, I hear it, but you can see it on a DWM or a scope of course.

I searched all forums, it always states what I'm saying here, and the workaround is to tune the oscillator on you modular, but I don't want to control the pitch of an oscillator.
An easy example is you have a pot on a digital module. Let's say it's a sample player. Let's say it can play 16 samples. You turn it and it select different samples. This pot set full CCW (means on 0) will select sample nr 1. When set full CW (100%) it will select sample nr 16. This is what the module does on your modular system.
Now you want to trig each sample by hand.
You take the BSP which is supposed to be able to send a 0V signal, and every third or 4th pad (you'll hear it if you play, I won't do the maths here) you'll here the next sample. If the CV IN on your module is made for 0 to +5V, then C3 will play sample nr 16. But you'll never be able to choose sample nr 1 by pressing C-2 on your BSP, just because it will not send 0V, but more (and its not a grounding issue). I can measure the offset if you want.
You can play a sequence on your BSP and you'll be able to get a 0V on any step you want (because the pot for the steps can send 0V without the offset), but NOT BY PLAYING A PAD.

If you can, I'd like to see that, cause I can't undertand why it should not be possible.

Actually it does not need to be the lowest note. It just need to be a pad which can send 0V.
I even thought it was possible with the firmware updates to set a pad to any note, like turning the pot for a step and assign it to a pad, but it doesn't work.

If you have a video showing 0V on a scope or a DWM when you play on the pads (not a seq), than it means it works. I can't see how.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 04:06:33 am »
Transpose the seqs?
But it's the pad I'm referring to.
I am speaking of playing the lowest note by pressing a pad, without playing the sequence.
The pots for each step can go to 0V, not the pad.

Sorry I didn't say the pad, but that is what I meant. And after reading your post, it doesn't achieve 0v anyway.
I'm looking at getting a attenuveter to address my need for negative voltages to control one of my modules.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines