April 26, 2024, 02:40:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Matrix buttons dont work.  (Read 2187 times)

Rickz

• Apprentice
Matrix buttons dont work.
« on: June 26, 2019, 07:59:33 pm »
Dear members,

Sorry if this has been asked before or if this is a total newbie question, I hope it is because a big part of my matrixbrute-matrix is unresponsive.
Today I got my Matrixbrute, it has been used and brought back to the store so I got a good deal on it.
When I got it all setup today I noticed barely any of the matrix buttons respond (ENV 1 - > Steiner cut. till VCA line of buttons do seem to work).
Am I doing something wrong? Any way to hard reset this device?
I already upgraded the firmware to the latest, made sure the original presets are in memory. Those things did not help the issue go away.
Any help what so ever is greatly appreciated.

Ps: I recorded a video that shows that my matrix doesn't work too well.
https://youtu.be/xTxDXXRFiCc

Kind regards,
Rick
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:16:22 pm by Rickz »

standingwave

Re: Matrix buttons dont work.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 09:04:55 pm »
Hey Rickz
 That is definitely not normal behavior. Maybe try reinstalling the factory firmware and upgrading from there. If that doesn't fix the issue, I'd take it back to where you bought it asap (might be why the original seller took it back)
 It doesn't hurt to open a support ticket with Arturia as well.

Goodluck!

Rickz

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 09:19:12 pm »
Thanks! Yea I contact support just now, hope they can help. otherwise if there is no easy diy fix then I will have to return it :/
Ps I updated the original post to include a video that demonstrates the issue.
Thanks!
Kind regards

standingwave

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 12:03:13 am »
Hey man,
 I would guess that it is physical damage to those soft membrane buttons. Jeep is informed!

Rickz

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 10:53:22 am »
I hope not but it certainly looks like it.
I will keep this post updated, now waiting for a reply from support.
Thanks!

endreola

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 04:55:19 pm »
Yea that sure is a bummer.

Am curious is this could be related to a firmware issue.  After the firmware got installed did you happen to check the version the Matrix board is running (and the other modules)?

Here's the steps on how to check: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=92706.0

If the firmware checks out ok and you're careful & comfortable with a screwdriver and poking around electronics, how do you feel about cracking it open and giving it a good visual?  Check the cables to each board to ensure they're fully seated?

EDIT: If you do decide to open it please disconnect all cables first from the unit before proceeding :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 04:58:42 pm by endreola »

Rickz

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 10:06:25 pm »
Thanks, I checked the firmware and everything seems to be the correct version.
I am not opening it up. I wouldn't know where to start : )  (and I am well within warranty)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 11:12:46 pm »
...Check the cables to each board to ensure they're fully seated?...
Fun fact: the MxB uses tiny bridge-boards that are fixed in place with screws to distribute power and signals between the boards instead of  lots of flying cables. The only cables are one to connect the CV minijacks to the voice board, one to connect the performance controls to the the panel and one to connect the headphone signal. It's very clever and neat :)

endreola

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 09:52:25 am »
No worries, Rickz.  Am glad you opted for an alternate route.  TBH, a part of my suggestion was a little on the selfish side as I would have liked to see some under-the-hood photos.  Heavens forbid that I crack my own open :)

@Dr.J, I am impressed by the design description.  The pics of the MB boards floating around the Internet are aging fast in my mind and didn’t notice how the boards interconnected.

Am still curious what guidance Arturia’s support provided. Please keep us posted.

Rickz

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 06:47:57 pm »
Lol thanks, I think I have seen a video somewhere of a Matrixbrute being taken apart. Anyhow I am not going to do that.
Support: L'eo has contacted me today to make sure the synth is running the most up to date firmware on all parts of the device (which it is, I doublechecked).
So now I am waiting for a reply again : )

Rickz

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 06:22:56 pm »
Hello to everyone interested in the topic : ).

Today I was contacted by Arturia and they have also concluded the device has unfortunately defective hardware.
I was advised to return the device to the reseller and they can get the device serviced or repaired by their local distributor.
So I will send it back and hope they can either send me a good-working one or my money back. We'll see, but conclusion: Defective hardware and needs to be send back.

Thank you all for your interest in this subject and hope you will never have such problems with your synths.
Have a great day and kind regards,
Rick

standingwave

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 08:16:20 pm »
Sorry to hear that Rickz.
 Hopefully it is nothing too major that a repair is possible.
 Either way it's good to hear you're being looked after.

Rickz

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 09:16:53 pm »
Thanks, and thanks a lot for your help!!

endreola

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 07:48:38 am »
An unfortunate outcome -- hopefully the dealer will step up and swap it out for a new unit.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 01:04:58 pm »
Unfortunately I think you've just discovered why it was 'used and brought back to the store'. Assuming they do give you a new one rather than repair this one, hopefully this faulty one will be sent back to the distributor and won't enter the retail chain again until it has been repaired. Maybe i'm wrong but I think I can see very clearly what's happened here, be it by accident or otherwise.

Good luck.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines