March 28, 2024, 09:51:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Use Microfreak as a controller in Ableton Live  (Read 7896 times)

Jedir

Use Microfreak as a controller in Ableton Live
« on: May 29, 2019, 12:12:04 pm »
Hi Guys, Can I ask Arturia to give a one-sheet on how/what to choose in Ableton Lives midi preferences to use it as a midi controller. firstly, as a basic keyboard controller with poly aftertouch and secondly, can its knobs be used to map to other VST in Live via the "configure" option in Live for the VST?

I have the MicroFreak 2 days now and not getting enough time to enjoy it, of the time I have got is fantastically different and the sounds I'm getting out of it are so unique!
Thanks,
Kieran

Trevor42

• Apprentice
Re: Use Microfreak as a controller in Ableton Live
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 10:56:34 pm »
I cant get ableton to record aftertouch, works in reaper. I have raised a ticket with Ableton.

Juno 6, Poly 61, Casio CZ-1, Moog MF-105M, Digtech Talker, Microfreak, Ipad (AUM), Pianotech, Modular and Ableton.

Peblin

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 08:55:25 pm »
Ableton doesn't support polyphonic aftertouch nor MPE.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 10:15:21 pm »
I don't think the freak supports MPE, but I get poly aftertouch to work with cubase and all my synth VST's for it, as well as some of my ipad apps that accept poly aftertouch.

Trevor42

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 09:06:01 pm »
Ableton doesn't support polyphonic aftertouch nor MPE.

Correct! Ableton confirmed it does not support polyphonic aftertouch, only mono aftertouch.

Very disappointing.
Juno 6, Poly 61, Casio CZ-1, Moog MF-105M, Digtech Talker, Microfreak, Ipad (AUM), Pianotech, Modular and Ableton.

djerzinski

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 12:07:34 pm »
I have some questions regarding Microfreak as a controller.
Besides the Aftertouch feature not working, does it work fine with Ableton? What about other DAWs? (personnally, I also use Renoise)
Are all the synth knobs MIDI assignable? (or just the bend/modwheel like with the Minibrute Mk I)

Trevor42

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 12:21:23 pm »
hey there,

Yep it works with all DAW's as a controller, most of the knobs (not all) send midi cc.

djerzinski

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 11:08:48 am »
Thanks for the info!
At first, I was interested in getting a minilab because I need a smaller controller to carry around, but I might as well get this one (plus, it's way lighter than the minilab).

avu

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 08:54:03 pm »
Sorry for the noob question, but in Ableton Live, when I press MIDI mode to configure the paramters on the MicroFreak, it's not reacting to any of the knobs for assignment like with my other controllers. What is the proper setup?

Under Prefs, Microfreak is not a recongized controller, like the MiniLab mk2 is, so I have "none" checked, then the MicroFreak selected for both input and output. For MIDI Ports, I have Input - Track On, sync and remote Off. Output - Sync On, Track and remote Off.

Keyboard works fine for control, and when I turn the knobs, I get a light for incoming MIDI message, but it never picks up and maps to the chosen parameter like on the MiniLab.

Anything obvious I'm doing wrong here?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:04:09 pm by avu »

chapelierfou

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 08:15:05 am »
Sorry for the noob question, but in Ableton Live, when I press MIDI mode to configure the paramters on the MicroFreak, it's not reacting to any of the knobs for assignment like with my other controllers. What is the proper setup?

Under Prefs, Microfreak is not a recongized controller, like the MiniLab mk2 is, so I have "none" checked, then the MicroFreak selected for both input and output. For MIDI Ports, I have Input - Track On, sync and remote Off. Output - Sync On, Track and remote Off.

Keyboard works fine for control, and when I turn the knobs, I get a light for incoming MIDI message, but it never picks up and maps to the chosen parameter like on the MiniLab.

Anything obvious I'm doing wrong here?

Knobs on hardware means 'remote' in Live.
Since it goes to Live, you need to activate the MF as an INPUT device. So to summarize : MF as REMOTE in the INPUT section.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines