March 29, 2024, 08:58:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: DRIVER Linear and Exponential FM  (Read 2940 times)

Sintek

• Apprentice
DRIVER Linear and Exponential FM
« on: May 23, 2019, 10:31:36 pm »
Hello there. As the subject I still don't get how it works. I mean: EXPONENTIAL FM is (usually) an inharmonic 1V/oct pitch shifting while LINEAR FM is constantly pitch shifting armonically, "compensating" the "tune", right? Well, I don't get why in Modular V it works opposite. Did I miss something? And why it's so "hard" (if you can pass me the term) with slight increases/decreases? Thanks and have a great day!!

Sintek

• Apprentice
Re: DRIVER Linear and Exponential FM
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 10:56:43 am »
up!!

LBH

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 05:44:19 pm »
Hi Sintek.

I'm not a technician. I too have a hard time to get my head around, what's excactly going on.

I don't understand, what you mean with inharmonic and harmonic in this context. I think perhaps you are mixing things up.
In this context exponential is a curve, that seems to be the 1 volt pr octave as you say. The liniar is a line.

I understand whay you say it look like the linear is exponential and the other way around.

If you take a positive modulation amount for the exponential and then a negative modulation with the same amount, then you get the same pitch interval up or down, when you add the same modulation.
This is not the case for the liniar, as the negative pitch modulation with the same modualtion amount as a positive, will give you larger interval than in positive direction.
This you could think is showing that the liniar is working as a exponential, but is'nt it actually the other way around, so it work as it should, as the exponential modulations give the same interval on a the pitch no matter it's a negative or positive modulation?
Perhaps this can explain?: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/projects/diy-synth-series-vco/ - Notice the output is exponential.

I don't understand is why the linear input is/ has to be so steap.

lunker

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 01:27:47 pm »
Thanks for explaining that.  I've had a hard time understanding the application of "linear" and "exponential" in terms of this synth (I know what they mean mathematically/graphically).  I've just been adjusting it by feel/ear, and your explanation helps make sense of how it is applied here so that I can use it better.

You are truly a wealth of knowledge for these instruments!
Best Regards, Ernie "lunker" Lundqvist
V Collection 5/6/7/8/9, Pigments, FX Collection 1/2/3
MiniLab mkII
REAPER (non commercial license)
BDSM (Bad Dog Studio Musicians)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines