March 28, 2024, 10:48:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: several issues with keylab 61 mk2  (Read 4996 times)

nico herz

• Apprentice
several issues with keylab 61 mk2
« on: May 21, 2019, 05:45:11 am »
hi,

i'm having several issues with my new keylab 61 mk2:

specs:
win7 pro ultimate, studio one 4.

1. when using mcc, it's only possible to do so when the host is not running - otherwise the midi connection is blocked. what good is it if one wants to fine-tune certain settings (such as aftertouch curves, velocity curves, etc), if one can't play directly and see if the feel is good? even my old axiom 61 was able to connect with its editing software while my host was running.

2. the pads seem to be close to unplayable, no matter what velocity curve is selected. either the trigger is missed completely (the threshold of the pad is quite high for the pads to react and also differs from where within the pad area one triggers), or the velocity is all over the place, when triggering quite consistently with approx same strength. is there anywhere a sensitivity setting for the pads, other than the velocity curves?? am i missing something?? right now accentuated playing is simply impossible.

3. the aftertouch on the pads doesn't work here at all. key aftertouch does. i've checked the global settings on the device - i don't see an option that the aftertouch could be turned off at all - so it should work?

4. when in global edit mode on the hardware itself, i was trying to find the right setting for the key aftertouch - the min is set to 12 (?) by default - the max is not editable at all (the parameter is in the display, but the value area is blank, and doesn't react on the data entry knob at all)??

5. the key aftertouch sensors are reacting differently, depending on where the key is pressed - higher notes above c3 react significantly better than below c3 - and the lower the key, the more the curve is shaped towards higher values, so that just with a tiny pressing of the key, there's quite high values being sent, when playing, say, c1. again - the higher the notes being played, the better the sensors react. but they should react all the same, no matter the key pitch??

6. when in daw mode to control studio one 4, as soon as the mackie control device is added and the "midiin2" and "midiout2" ports are connected, keylab sends aftertouch values for a while with every note played, even if aftertouch isn't triggered?? sometimes it doesn't even stop sending??

7. i'm a sounddesigner as my main job. hence i normally map pitch-bend and aftertouch to two faders, so that when i have to do controlling assignments in synths and setting up the maximum values for that assignment (f.e. pitch-bend controls the fm amount, aftertouch controls the cutoff), i don't have to always physically hold the pitch-bender or aftertouch on maximum - i just use the faders then. but on the keylab i cannot map pitch-bend nor aftertouch to a fader/knob??  again - even my old axiom 61 keyboard allowed for that...

8. i suppose there's no way to readjust the velocity sensors? because no matter what velocity curve i select, the keys reach max velocity extremely fast, by not really hitting the keys hard...

9. the chassis of the keylab annoyingly resonates quite loud and long in a metallic fashion (almost like a spring reverb), when the keys are getting hit a bit harder.

10. in hope i could start the diagnostic mode from the view menu in mcc, to maybe let the hardware to be adjusting/calibrating itself, i have to fill in a password - which i cannot find anywhere - where do i get it and will this option actually do what i suspect it to do (recalibrate the sensors/velocity range of the keys/pads?

summary:
sorry - i really don't want to come off like a moaner at all, but i'm really having a hard time with the keylab 61 mk2 - i was putting such high hopes on it based on the marketing buzz you do in the product videos, etc. all in all i must say that i'm quite disappointed by the unit - unless i'm fundamentally doing something wrong...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:59:19 am by nico herz »

JohnPo

Re: several issues with keylab 61 mk2
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 11:37:50 am »
I'd like to back up the poster on point 1 - inability to use Midi Control Centre while the Midi target is connected. I've spent a lot of time trying to diagnose a template copy error (see post above) and it was incredibly frustrating to have to switch programs between MCC, Ableton Live (which isn't a quick starter on my machine), MIDI-OX etc..

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 12:47:05 pm »
2. ...is there anywhere a sensitivity setting for the pads, other than the velocity curves?? am i missing something?? right now accentuated playing is simply impossible.

3. the aftertouch on the pads doesn't work here at all. key aftertouch does. i've checked the global settings on the device - i don't see an option that the aftertouch could be turned off at all - so it should work?

5. the key aftertouch sensors are reacting differently, depending on where the key is pressed - higher notes above c3 react significantly better than below c3 - and the lower the key, the more the curve is shaped towards higher values, so that just with a tiny pressing of the key, there's quite high values being sent, when playing, say, c1. again - the higher the notes being played, the better the sensors react. but they should react all the same, no matter the key pitch??

8. i suppose there's no way to readjust the velocity sensors? because no matter what velocity curve i select, the keys reach max velocity extremely fast, by not really hitting the keys hard...

9. the chassis of the keylab annoyingly resonates quite loud and long in a metallic fashion (almost like a spring reverb), when the keys are getting hit a bit harder.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
2. sadly not. You could adjust minimum and maximum pad velocities on the KeyLab mk1 but for some bizarre reason they have taken that function away from the MkII. Instead you can only choose different velocity curves.
3. sounds like a fault...consider returning the controller for a replacement
5. 8. & 9. There's a reason why $1000+ midi controllers exist, it's because they're built better, things like consistent feel and response across the whole keyboard, and don't creak or ring when you play them. Having said that, the build quality of the KeyLab controllers is good for the price, at least they're all built on a sturdy metal chassis rather than screwed to flimsy plastic.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Cryzor

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 07:02:21 am »
Hey, can you please tell me which firmware do you use ? I have lots of problems after upgrading to 1.1.3

isaacbbe

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 03:30:00 am »
Not sure where to post, but on my MKII, I split the keys and the lower section after I hit a key, I get a clip sound. It's not clipping because of volume. I've switched amps, have my direct box and lift on and everything is grounded. The clip does not happen when I release any of the other keys from f1 on up using a midi sound from my Motif xf.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 01:18:09 pm »
Not sure where to post, but on my MKII, I split the keys and the lower section after I hit a key, I get a clip sound. It's not clipping because of volume. I've switched amps, have my direct box and lift on and everything is grounded. The clip does not happen when I release any of the other keys from f1 on up using a midi sound from my Motif xf.
Probably worth starting a new thread about it. I have to admit at the moment I don't think I understand what you mean. When you split the keyboard, all it does is output the the two halves to different midi channels, so I don't know what you mean by clipping. Best thing is start a new thread to attract interest specific to your query rather than hijack someone else's thread.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines