April 20, 2024, 02:50:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sample Rate? Oversampling? Confused  (Read 3519 times)

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
Sample Rate? Oversampling? Confused
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:00:18 pm »
I'm a bit confused about the "Oversampling" knob. I'm assuming, since it's called "oversampling," that all it's doing is increasing whatever default sample rate is. IIRC the Synclavier had a variable sample rate, maxing out at like 30khz, right?
So we can change the bit depth, but only oversample and not set a lower sample rate? Is that right?
So what is the sample rate it's operating at without oversampling?
This space left intentionally blank.

LBH

Re: Sample Rate? Oversampling? Confused
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 03:05:54 pm »
As far as i can hear and tell, then the Oversampling and the Bit Depth parameters does'nt have an impact on used Audio samples. I don't see the huge difference in CPU usage in the different settings that one should exspect, if that was the case. And i don't hear a low quality sound for audio samples when lowering the Bit depth.

The original Synclavier that did'nt used audio samples was 8 bit.
Arturia say the Default setting for Oversampling is 4x. I don't think the original had this option. So perhaps 1x is the correct. I don't know what value this Oversampling parameter multiplies. I guess it could be the minimum points to describe a waveform. 64x oversampling seems too much if it's in example is about your soundcards/ hosts samplerate settings. Perhaps Arturia can jump in and tell? It's a good question.

When it come to audio sampling, then the original Synclavier that had this started out with a 16 bit 50000 Hz samplerate in Mono. Later on that became 16 bit 100000 Hz samplerate mono and 50000 Hz stereo - and later i think even 100000 Hz in stereo.

In Synclavier V you for the audio samples have the Alias Filter button in the sample editor but no oversampling. I don't think the original used oversampling like this for this either, so i guess Arturias Alias Filter simulate what the original Synclavier did.
The original had what the high audio samplerate provided, and that was it.

Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:30:39 pm by LBH »

ciccio id

Re: Sample Rate? Oversampling? Confused
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 02:40:32 pm »
Oversampling is used to eliminate aliasing noise.
 The process is ;
oversampling and then filter the very high frequencies beyond the bandwidth actually used.  After that, down sampling will be processed.
 Therefore, even if oversampling is set to x64, there will be no increasing high frequency overtones, basically speaking.
 Your software's frequency range depends on its setup's sampling rate.

If you experience strange digital noise in the higher frequencies, you may try using oversampling.

FYI

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines