July 16, 2019, 04:18:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sample Rate? Oversampling? Confused  (Read 292 times)

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
Sample Rate? Oversampling? Confused
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:00:18 pm »
I'm a bit confused about the "Oversampling" knob. I'm assuming, since it's called "oversampling," that all it's doing is increasing whatever default sample rate is. IIRC the Synclavier had a variable sample rate, maxing out at like 30khz, right?
So we can change the bit depth, but only oversample and not set a lower sample rate? Is that right?
So what is the sample rate it's operating at without oversampling?
This space left intentionally blank.

LBH

Re: Sample Rate? Oversampling? Confused
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 03:05:54 pm »
As far as i can hear and tell, then the Oversampling and the Bit Depth parameters does'nt have an impact on used Audio samples. I don't see the huge difference in CPU usage in the different settings that one should exspect, if that was the case. And i don't hear a low quality sound for audio samples when lowering the Bit depth.

The original Synclavier that did'nt used audio samples was 8 bit.
Arturia say the Default setting for Oversampling is 4x. I don't think the original had this option. So perhaps 1x is the correct. I don't know what value this Oversampling parameter multiplies. I guess it could be the minimum points to describe a waveform. 64x oversampling seems too much if it's in example is about your soundcards/ hosts samplerate settings. Perhaps Arturia can jump in and tell? It's a good question.

When it come to audio sampling, then the original Synclavier that had this started out with a 16 bit 50000 Hz samplerate in Mono. Later on that became 16 bit 100000 Hz samplerate mono and 50000 Hz stereo - and later i think even 100000 Hz in stereo.

In Synclavier V you for the audio samples have the Alias Filter button in the sample editor but no oversampling. I don't think the original used oversampling like this for this either, so i guess Arturias Alias Filter simulate what the original Synclavier did.
The original had what the high audio samplerate provided, and that was it.

Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:30:39 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines