March 29, 2024, 02:56:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: LAPTOP SOUND CARD  (Read 1205 times)

Lincon

• Apprentice
LAPTOP SOUND CARD
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:13:54 am »
Hello everyone,,
I have recently bought the V Collection and it is installed on a laptop. I was wondering if adding an external sound card would make any improvements when connected to an external amplifier such as my hifi? Any suggestions.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: LAPTOP SOUND CARD
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:02:09 pm »
What laptop have you got? MacBooks tend to have pretty decent DACs built into them to start with, but on Windows laptops the quality varies tremendously, and not necessarily in keeping with the price of the laptop either, because no matter how much your laptop cost, the sound card often gets the 'bottom feeder' share of the budget.

If you never intend to record real instruments (eg your electric guitar) you can buy a USB DAC such as the Dragonfly Black or Red, which will almost certainly better the DAC in most Windows laptops. If you need to record instruments as well, look at something like the Focusrite Scarlet range.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

jgillmanjr

• Apprentice
Re: LAPTOP SOUND CARD
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 02:35:58 pm »
In case it's still relevant, I highly recommend the Focusrite Scarletts. I have a 2i4 Gen II and I've been loving it.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines