March 28, 2024, 07:01:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab 88 and maximum velocity notes  (Read 2731 times)

eddietrooper

• Apprentice
Keylab 88 and maximum velocity notes
« on: May 09, 2019, 11:57:55 pm »
Hi!

I have recently purchased a Keylab 88. The first week everything seemed to be OK but now, when playing softly, at some random moments one note is played at máximum MIDI velocity (after playing it slow). It may occur on different keys, not always the same.
It is not a problem of velocity curves (I use logarythmic 2 but I tried linear and the random problem was the same)
I have upgrade to the lastest firmware but the issue keeps appearing from time to time.

What can I do?
Thank you in advance.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Keylab 88 and maximum velocity notes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:14:02 pm »
If you've bought it new, return it to your retailer as faulty and have it exchanged. No matter what country you live in, it's likely you have the statutory right to have faulty goods replaced within a guarantee period (at least 12 months in the EU, UK and North America). Don't open it and don't struggle trying to make it work, just return it, describing they faults to the retailer as you have done here.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

eddietrooper

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 01:15:43 pm »
I followed your advice. The retailer is going to exchange my unit. I hope that the new one will not show the same issue. Thanks.

eddietrooper

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 01:08:13 am »
I got a new unit from my retailer. After a couple of weeks I am beginning to experience the same full velocity issues. This is frustrating.

Please anyone from Arturia staff that can help me with this?

I read in another forum that someone solved the problem by disabling the MIDI-out in the controller. How can I do this?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 01:44:56 pm »
Not sure why you are continuing to have these problems. It's usually always caused by a dirty circuit board under the keybed, so why you should be having these issues after a matter of weeks unless you live in an extremely dusty environment, I really don't know.

The keybed in the KeyLab 88 is made by Fatar, a very highly regarded keybed manufacturer, they are usually of very high quality and reliability. It's not impossible that a duff one is made every so often, but for you two have two duff ones in succession makes me wonder if there is an underlying cause.

I don't know how to disable midi out. I don't even know why that would fix it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 01:46:50 pm by MajorFubar »
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

eddietrooper

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 11:18:15 pm »
Thank you for your help, MajorFubar.

I think I may have found the origin of this issue in my particular case.

From the beginning I have been pluggin' the Keylab with a USB cable followed by an extensión USB cable, because my USB cable was too short.

I have removed the extensión cable and plugged my Keylab directly with a longer single USB cable, and it seems to work: I have played for several days without the máximum MIDI velovity issue.

Maybe the data velocity with the combination of two cables was too slow for using the keylab with the sustain pedal and therefore some wrong MIDI signals were produced.

I hope that the issue will not appear anymore in the next days, and I will finally enjoy this awesome keyboard and software without bothering.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines