March 29, 2024, 10:02:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What is the logic behind the '*' ?  (Read 1549 times)

fenderchris

• Apprentice
What is the logic behind the '*' ?
« on: May 05, 2019, 01:44:28 pm »
1. After selecting a Factory preset, if I  change the volume using the Master Volume knob or the Swell pedal,an asterisk '*' appears after the preset's name to indicate that a change has been made which should maybe be saved. WHY? - Changing a volume level is a normal part of playing a sound - it is not modifying a sound.

2. After modifying a preset and saving it to the User Bank, any future changes to the new preset do NOT cause an asterisk '*' to appear after the preset's name. WHY NOT? - Any modifications to the sound of a User preset are just as important as modifications to a Factory preset, if not more important.

Note: These questions arise from my using the new B3 V2 app, but I think they also apply to most or all of the other V Collection apps.

Windows-11, 64gb ram, Nuendo 11.0.41, V7 Collection, Pigments, OB-Xa, CS-80 V4.

CC4

• Beta-testers
Re: What is the logic behind the '*' ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 02:51:30 pm »
1. After selecting a Factory preset, if I  change the volume using the Master Volume knob or the Swell pedal,an asterisk '*' appears after the preset's name to indicate that a change has been made which should maybe be saved. WHY? - Changing a volume level is a normal part of playing a sound - it is not modifying a sound.

The asterisk should occur because master volume changes and swell pedal changes are recorded in the patches. (I personally wish all soft synth manufacturers would not do this with the volume knob however).

2. After modifying a preset and saving it to the User Bank, any future changes to the new preset do NOT cause an asterisk '*' to appear after the preset's name. WHY NOT? - Any modifications to the sound of a User preset are just as important as modifications to a Factory preset, if not more important.

Note: These questions arise from my using the new B3 V2 app, but I think they also apply to most or all of the other V Collection apps.

I am not experiencing this with B3-V2 in standalone or in FL Studio on a Windows PC. Are you on a different platform? The asterisk should be appearing.

fenderchris

• Apprentice
Re: What is the logic behind the '*' ?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 06:48:02 pm »
The asterisk should occur because master volume changes and swell pedal changes are recorded in the patches. (I personally wish all soft synth manufacturers would not do this with the volume knob however).

I agree. Changing the volume is not changing the sound.

I am not experiencing this with B3-V2 in standalone or in FL Studio on a Windows PC. Are you on a different platform? The asterisk should be appearing.

Ha-ha - I've found the answer to 2.  -  The name I gave the new preset was 24 characters long, which is longer than the space allowed for a name at the top of the app so there was no room to display the asterisk!

It is currently possible to enter preset names that are 32 characters long so the fact that a preset has been edited will not be displayed which is not good. -  The same applies to other V6 synths.

The simple solution is for Arturia to provide enough space in the name box at the top of the screen to accommodate 32 characters + an asterisk  - There is space to do this.   

It seems obvious to me that if you let the users enter 32-character names you need to provide enough space to actually display the full names.

(Better check them all!)

Windows-11, 64gb ram, Nuendo 11.0.41, V7 Collection, Pigments, OB-Xa, CS-80 V4.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines