April 24, 2024, 02:29:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Problems with external MIDI keyboard  (Read 1212 times)

mebitek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Problems with external MIDI keyboard
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:34:55 am »
Hi guys I recently get a beatstep pro to play with my modular system and it's amazing.
Now I'm trying to use and external midi keyboard to play and record with beatstep cause I feel more confortable with keyboards than with bp pads.
I set correctly the MIDI channel to control seq1 or seq2 and I'm able to trigger the steps from the ext keyboard.
The problem I have is that when I click play on the beatstep the ext keyboard seems to do nothing, no MIDI data received so no events sent to modualr system.
What I'm doing wrong?
thanks all

shmuelyosef

• Apprentice
Re: Problems with external MIDI keyboard
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 06:36:13 am »
I have mine set up to work with an MPD18 on the DRUMS and my synth keyboard for the Mono Sequencers. I don't remember specifically (I'll try and check tomorrow) but there are a couple of settings in the MIDI CONTROL application that are obviously for this utility that are not set as default. If you are not using MIDI CONTROL you are missing a lot of functionality, e.g. it lets you save your keymaps.

MultipleChoice

• Apprentice
Re: Problems with external MIDI keyboard
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 04:09:21 pm »
Hi,

I bought the BSP to have it as a universal, free assignable MIDI controller in my MIDI loop. Meaning, that I can choose to play any of my synths in the chain by selecting the according MIDI channel. This is actually not possible, but I solved it (with some MIDI filters and mergers). In that process I already faced that problem and was also consulting Arturia support for a solution.

Since the BSP has NO MIDI THRU, you actually won't be able to play additional notes on your keyboard while the BSP is running.
Technically you actually play your BSP by the keyboard (for recording mainly, I suppose) and then it plays your Synth for you, but only when stopped (so no real Thru, since e.g. polyphony gets lost playing through SEQ1 & SEQ2 always and entirely). When you start your BSP, your sequencers become transposable via MIDI, but you cannot come through with any additional notes anymore.

Arturia wrote:
"I know that a Midi through would indeed be a nice feature,
A soft version of this feature is yet available but with as you said some restrictions as the messages are constricted to the restrictions of the beatstep's chip.
You can run a Midi in and out with the beatstep on stop (if on play it will only transpose the sequence already playing)
If using the midi channel of a melodic sequencer you will be constrained to monophonic sequences, however you can cheat this by routing it through the drum's sequencer.

You can only put your keyboard AFTER the BSP if it has got MIDI thru, then you can play additional notes, but then you can' transpose you BSP anymore by that keyboard or record notes... There is no optimum solution unfortunately, besides what I did. I am going to post it soon and link it here, but the solution takes some financial investment.

See here: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=95067.0

Please write Arturia and ask for a MIDI thru option, the pressure might be growing :P

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:05:37 pm by MultipleChoice »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines