March 19, 2024, 08:39:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MRK compiler rather than only 8 samples  (Read 5046 times)

MCMorrise

• Apprentice
MRK compiler rather than only 8 samples
« on: May 04, 2019, 04:03:07 am »
I noticed that, if the suffix of an .mrk file is renamed to any common archive format (.zip, .rar, .7z, .tar, .tar.gz, et cetera), it can then be extracted. The resulting directory presents the user with a 6-byte file called "header" and a directory called "rack" containing 35 files numbered 0-34, which I assume are audio files with some kind of encryption.

I don't understand why we're only able to use 8 samples when the factory sample format for Mellotron V involves what appears to be simple multisampling and would not be difficult to implement for end-users. If giving end-users the ability to compile their own .mrk is in the works, most excellent and more power to us all. But if not, it shows laziness on the part of Arturia. The time stretching option with which we are presented is novel and admittedly occasionally useful, but it is not on par with Arturia's tendency toward exacting replications.

If there's a good reason not to be able to load a full complement of 35 samples, I'd love to hear it.

Kevin R

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: MRK compiler rather than only 8 samples
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 07:26:51 pm »
Agree with you completely. 

MCMorrise

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 08:02:56 am »
I just bought the VC 7 in order to have access to the huge new preset collection and the undo buttons. I casually played with Mellotron V, but this whole thing still stands.

I hope somebody at Arturia is listening, because if not I'll have to do a video review and publicly shame them.

parodise

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:43:25 pm »
I agree

jblongz

• Multi-Engineer
    • JBlongz YouTube
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 05:39:09 pm »
Not bad for version 1.  Lets see how it evolves.  Maybe they’re already working on it, but couldn’t make it to first release.
MacBook Pro M1 MacOS13 16GB | Asus ProArt i7 12700H 64GB
V9 Collection | Live 11 | Logic X | Maschine MK3 | Cubase 12 | Bitwig 5

finaldiner

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 12:42:42 pm »
Absolutely agree.

It wouldn't have been so bad if it were possible to make the user samples map to individual notes – then we could have 24 across the 3 presets, but to make individual note sampling unavailable on a Mellotron emulator seems wilful and perverse!

Has anyone been able to hack the sample files inside the .mrk? How are they formatted?

MCMorrise

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 05:27:57 am »
Has anyone been able to hack the sample files inside the .mrk? How are they formatted?

Looks like a proprietary encryption that only works with Mellotron V. My suspicion is that it's a take on FLAC files, since the key on/off noises and the motor/tape noise are stored as FLAC files within the plugin resource folder.

If you create a Mellotron V patch, export it, then re-import it, the samples you used will be copied to the Mellotron sample folder (on Mac, that's HD/Library/Arturia/Samples/Mellotron V/User) in the format you used to create the patch (whether WAV, AIFF, or FLAC), including their original metadata, so that's a big difference from the factory samples.

Reverse-engineering the preset syntax could lead to the ability to cram more than 8 files in a preset, but it's beyond the scope of my ability.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines