March 19, 2024, 04:23:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Fault report - Random filter cutoff changes wrecking patches  (Read 5583 times)

Polymoog

• Apprentice
Tricky one to describe this but I'll try. Got my Freak today and it worked fine working through the presets til I was noodling with preset 97 Soft Pd. Suddenly the save light flashed, the display flashed up the matrix amount value for a parameter and the filter cutoff jumped to max. Pad not so soft anymore...

Thought this was a one-off but it happens on any preset now. Change to a new preset, and after anything from 1 to maybe 10 seconds the save light will flash, the display light up with a parameter value and the cutoff jumps to max (or a high value anyway). On some patches this will kill the patch completely e.g. 99 and 100 (due to the filter type programmed being HPF I guess).

A mate of mine got a Freak today too and his is doing exactly the same thing, which suggests maybe a firmware issue...?

Anyway for now it means my brand new synth is pretty much junk :( 

Update:  it's doing it all the time on mine now. Strange how it was fine for a few hours, now as soon as I switch it on or select a preset the patch changes randomly and messes up within a few seconds.

I updated the firmware - no change.

It's usually, but not always, the env to cutoff matrix parameter which changes. I just set a patch so that env-to-cutoff was set to 0 in the matrix. A few seconds later the amount jumped to 64 spontaneously; I hadn't even touched anything.

Edit agin: just noticed it's spontaneously adding env-cutoff matrix mod to patches even if it's not a programmed part of the patch. In other words, the env-cutoff matrix light will suddenly come on when it isn't part of the patch. So it's not just spontaneously modifying a pre-programmed value, it's actually adding that mod source and destination to the patch where it wasn't present before.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:41:41 am by Edouard_Arturia »

Polymoog

• Apprentice
Re: Fault report - Random filter cutoff changes wrecking patches
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 08:37:29 am »
More info:

I can be in the middle of assigning a mod matrix source and destination and the display will flash up a random parameter change. Actually in the middle of editing another parameter.

For example, I can be turning the matrix mod amount knob for pressure control of pitch, and the display will flash up 'Env-Cutoff matrix amount 74.0' or similar. While I'm actually in the middle of editing a completely different parameter.

I can even edit the Env-Cutoff matrix amount with the knob and the value will randomly jump up again as I'm turning the value the down.

Something seems to be very wrong here. I need to hear that Arturia is on this and a fix is coming quickly else it's getting returned for a refund.

tozow

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 12:49:02 pm »
Ups, I posted the same issue - somehow. At least I think it might be the same - it just experienced in a different way...

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=94899.0

Polymoog

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 12:51:49 pm »
Ups, I posted the same issue - somehow. At least I think it might be the same - it just experienced in a different way...

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=94899.0

Yep that sounds very similar  :(

Polymoog

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 02:08:08 pm »
On a tip-off I've set the env-cutoff knob in the envelope section to zero and the problem with that parameter jumping around has disappeared. If I put it back up to the value that was spontaneously appearing the problem returns.

Bad encoder?

Micro_Freq

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 04:33:34 pm »
Yes, all of this sounds very familiar, had mine since yesterday and it's stuttering about all over the place, not good! I've just arranged for mine to be returned for a refund.

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 09:43:30 am »
Hello folks.

This is is weird, can you please contact us through this page: https://www.arturia.com/support/askforhelp/issues
We will try to figure what happens.

Ideally, we would need:

- The serial of the unit

- A MIDI monitor of the synth output, this can be done from the Midi Control Center > MicroFreak > View > MIDI Console
It will allows to see if a value is sent by the synth by itself.

- If you have the possibility to do it, a quick video clip showing the issue would be great as well.

Best and sorry for this inconvenience.

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

Micro_Freq

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 11:17:00 am »
Hello folks.

This is is weird, can you please contact us through this page: https://www.arturia.com/support/askforhelp/issues

Ideally, we would need:

- The serial of the unit

- A MIDI monitor of the synth output, this can be done from the Midi Control Center > MicroFreak > View > MIDI Console

- If you have the possibility to do it, a quick video clip showing the issue would be great as well.

Edouard

I've already done this -  (Request #563265) regards.

Polymoog

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 11:50:29 am »
I've already raised a ticket too.

This video - which isn't mine, it's another affected owner - shows the problem very clearly.

https://youtu.be/Q0ssrOVHnHc

Micro_Freq

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 12:24:04 pm »
I uploaded this to instagram on Saturday - three patches and three unsolicited parameter saves/changes [preset sounds - 04/99/100]
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxDVEXQhlqB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:26:03 pm by Micro_Freq »

ReinerHelbig

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 10:18:28 am »
Same behaviour with my MicroFreak.

I can confirm flashing save button, asterisk behind the type of sound as change mark, display shows different parameter windows with their current settings - no parameter "jumps" so far.

I suppose there's some glitch in reading the pots when they are positioned "between" two values as moving the pots solves the issue sometimes (when the new pot position is on a single value).

Maybe changing a sensitivity value or precision value in the software for reading the pots helps. So a firmware update might help.

Hope it's no hardware issue as there would be massive returns coming up.

Nevertheless MicroFreak is an awesome machine - looking forward to the fixes.

Polymoog

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 10:47:28 am »
Hello folks.

Ideally, we would need:

- The serial of the unit

Edouard

Just to mention I haven't received any acknowledgement of my fault report from Arturia so I have no idea if they are looking at it.

The UK distributor has however given me info on sending the synth back to them as a faulty return.

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 02:18:22 pm »
Hi Polymoog, at time of writing, i know that our tech support team went back to you.
cheers,

Polymoog

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 02:25:04 pm »
Hi Polymoog, at time of writing, i know that our tech support team went back to you.
cheers,

I've spoken with people at Source Distribution today who said I'll be getting an exchange, yes.

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 06:33:07 pm »
Hey.

I wanted to let you know that this issue is firmware related.

We are currently working on an update resolving this little quirk ! We expect to be able to release it next week if everything goes well !

Cheers

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines