March 28, 2024, 08:09:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: custom phase distortion interpolation between breakpoint is wrong Y-axis instead  (Read 2789 times)

gentleclockdivider

• Apprentice
The way the custom phase distortion interpolates between the phasor breakpoints is completely wrong
Proof is in the pudding , a simple sine to saw (first shape ) requires the movement of just one beakpoint but even that can't be achieved in the custom shape.
I tbehaves correctly when you manualy drag a point , but once it interpolates it does not behave as it should
See picture , the yellow BASE line reads the cosine in a straight line , no phase disortion going   , the blue line is the TARGET , expected behaviour of the dcw is indicated by the red line , it should move across the X-axis

Instead it moves the (invisible)  breakpoint on the blue line down across the Y-axis   indicated by the white arrow , this is not how it's supposed to be and does not sound remotely similar to the othewise excellent emulation

« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 03:47:02 pm by gentleclockdivider »

gentleclockdivider

• Apprentice
NO , one ?
I contacted the originl author Oli LArkin and he said it' s in the hands of arturia

gentleclockdivider

• Apprentice
 I made a giff
This is how phase distortion on a cosine actually looks like , result  sine turns into saw
The green line represents the phase accumulator (range 0-1)
The green breakpoint  is where the phasor is distorted ,everything at the left of the breakpoint represents 1pi rad ( 2 quarters of a cosine ) , at the right of the breakpoint also 1 pi rad( again 2 quarters of a cosine)  , together 2pi rad =cos. 
Result is skewed cosine , skewing it hard enough gives you a saw wave
This is exactly how the cz does it and so does the arturia with the build in algoritms , except the custom wave
The breakpoint should remain at all times at level 0.5 , on the custom  cz shape it does not
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 03:11:04 pm by gentleclockdivider »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines