March 29, 2024, 02:52:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Real Nostalgia!  (Read 3760 times)

gregwalton42

Real Nostalgia!
« on: May 01, 2019, 09:41:48 am »
Thank you, Arturia, for the Synthi V. This is another one I had thought would be a great addition to the V Collection, given its amazing history.

I had the opportunity to play around with a VCS3 in a local music store once, back in about 1970/71. I was only in my early teens but I was also the only one could get sounds out of it! I attracted quite a crowd.

Synthi V makes it much easier to use as a musical instrument (which was hard work with the hardware versions) but keeps all the "Beep box" possibilities too. I love the possibility of setting up automatic joystick movements - could we please have this in Modular V?

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
Re: Real Nostalgia!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 11:00:22 am »
Hi Greg, thanks for the kind words!
I'll log your feature request regarding modular V.
cheers,

Fordy

• Apprentice
Mapping the Joystick
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 07:20:27 pm »
Hi Folks

I have the demo and I notice that the joystick is assigned two controllers but is it possible to use just one of them and say control it with the Y-Y joystick on my Korg Krome?

LBH

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 08:06:06 pm »
Hi Folks

I have the demo and I notice that the joystick is assigned two controllers but is it possible to use just one of them and say control it with the Y-Y joystick on my Korg Krome?
Hi,

When you have a new topic, then i suggest you start a new thread and does'nt change the header for the current topic that the OP have created.

I don't know what your Korg can do. In Synthi V you have MIDI learn and the Map Modwheel to Y option in the extended Joystick modulation. So Synthi V allow you to only assign one axis.

I suggest you look in the Synthi V manual sections:
3.4. MIDI Learn and Configuration,
4.3.2.6. The Joystick
and
7.4. Joystick

And if needed also refere to your Korg manual.

Fordy

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 04:21:21 pm »
Hi, sorry for hijacking this thread. I'm well aware it's not a good thing to do and did so in error thinking I was starting a new thread. I didn't realise I was still in this one.

I have already checked the manuals but that didn't help. I can't understanbd the reason for the dual controller mapping of the joystick, seems nuts but hey ho.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 07:54:30 pm »
Hi, sorry for hijacking this thread. I'm well aware it's not a good thing to do and did so in error thinking I was starting a new thread. I didn't realise I was still in this one.

I have already checked the manuals but that didn't help. I can't understanbd the reason for the dual controller mapping of the joystick, seems nuts but hey ho.
Please be more specific like explaining what you mean with dual controller mapping and what excactly you don't understand?
I have also not seen any videos, so i don't know which video you have seen or what you talk about in that.

Also please inform if you can control the modwheel in other softsynths than Synthi V?

It's possible that this is about how your keyboard work, if you can't get it to work with the informations in Synthi Vs manual.
If you don't know how your keyboard work, then please ask Korg.

According to your keyboards manuals "MIDI Implementation Chart", then Control Change (MIDI CC) 1, 2, 17, 19, 20, 21 can be used for Joystick (+Y, -Y).
It look like your keyboard joystick work as 4 individual controls. - +X, -X, +Y, -Y. Synthis have X and Y axis only.

And Control Change have a note *C that refer to this note:
"*P, *A, *C, *E: Transmitted/received when Global P1: MIDI Filter (Program Change, Aftertouch, Control Change, Exclusive) is Enable, respectively." - Have you enabled "Control Change"?

Here is what i would try:
1. Enable the above "Control Change" on your Keyboard.
2. Make both your -Y and +Y send on MIDI CC 01.
3. Load the factory Synthi V preset "Default" in Synthi V.
4. Move your joystick fully up and down some times.
Do you hear changes in the filter, when you do that? If not, then your keyboard is not sending the MIDI CC or you somehow have deactivated the "Map Modwheel to Y" button you can read about in Synthis manual section "7.4. Joystick". If you hear changes in the range for either your +Y or -Y range, then you can only use one of those directions. If you hear changes in both the -Y and +Y directions, then it work fully.

In this case it's only the Pin for the Filter to be controlled by the Sticks Y-axis, set in the Matrix on the GUI, that is active. (If you remove that Pin, then you get no modulation.)
Beside the possibilities to set Pins in the Matrix, you also have possibilties in the extended wievs Joystick section. (Synthis manual section "7.4. Joystick"). Here you have the possibility to have 0-2 parameters for a joystick axis. In here you can also animate joystick motions so it move automaticly, as the OP gregwalton42 mention.

(Keep in mind, that you can also assign macro controls with other MIDI CC numbers to Synthis joystick using MIDI learn.)
Please refer to the sections in Synthis manual, that i mentioned in my first post. You only find all the possibilties, if you try things out.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:30:48 pm by LBH »

lodavyes

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 11:11:28 am »
Do you know what nostalgia is? Listening to the sound of the mandolin. When I bought my first one, I was 13 and was looking for a new sound, for something exciting and unusual, and the sound of the mandolin was mesmerizing. Nowadays, it is tough for someone who can play this musical instrument. Still, if you have the chance to hear the sound of a mandolin played by a professional, you will never forget the sound and the feeling that it creates. Check mandolinexpert.com if you want to find more about this musical instrument.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 08:15:17 am by lodavyes »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 01:49:17 pm »
Except mandolins are still being made. It's nostalgic for you because it invokes childhood memories. It would be like me saying real nostalgia is a ham and pickle sandwich because I associate that with my grandmother. It's not quite the same as virtually-reviving a long-dead classic synth.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines