March 28, 2024, 11:25:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Solina : how to remove the "wah wah" in the background ?  (Read 3734 times)

Pierre Meleuc

• Apprentice
Solina : how to remove the "wah wah" in the background ?
« on: April 30, 2019, 10:47:01 pm »
Hello,
When playing Solina's "Diamond Strings" preset, I can hear a distinct "wah wah" effect. As a beginner, it wasn't obvious to me how to get rid of it. Any suggestions ?
On "Shine on", Rick Wright didn't have any "wah wah".
Thanks in advance for any tips, and best regards,
Pierre

LBH

Re: Solina : how to remove the "wah wah" in the background ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 12:05:35 am »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

What wah-wah?
Is it by any chance the Vibrato and Tremolo effect you get, if you use your modwheel? I can imagine this is it. If your modwheel is set to zero, then you should not hear this.
The Vibrato and Tremolo section you find in the Extended view. (The button with 2 arrows in the applications toppanel to the right.)

Just in case: Also there are a Chorus on FX1. Turn down the FX1 knob to not hear this.
The effect section you also find in the Extended view.

Hope this helps.
Best regards.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that the MOD AMT knob on the front also need to be turned fully right on the Solina V2 in case you have edited it. EDIT END
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:42:29 pm by LBH »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 01:09:47 pm »
This was an issue on Solina V1, but not V2. Are you definitely using V2? Even though the Solina is fully modelled not sampled, V1 always sounded as though it was playing looped samples. This was fixed with V2.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Pierre Meleuc

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 04:56:16 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.
Thanks ! I'm new to keyboards, and even more so to synths, so please bear with me.
What wah-wah?
Like a pulsation, one cycle per second, or like a very slow vibrato.
Is it by any chance the Vibrato and Tremolo effect you get, if you use your modwheel?  If your modwheel is set to zero, then you should not hear this.
Mod wheel set to zero.
The Vibrato and Tremolo section you find in the Extended view. (The button with 2 arrows in the applications toppanel to the right.)

Not sure where this is. With "extended view", do you mean the panel that opens when clicking on the wooden top of the instrument ?
Using a Keylab Essential, there is a Vibrato rotating button, but it bears no effect, regardless if it's set to min or to max.
Just in case: Also there are a Chorus on FX1. Turn down the FX1 knob to not hear this.
The effect section you also find in the Extended view.
The rotating button  FX1 is also set to min.
EDIT: I forgot to mention, that the MOD AMT knob on the front also need to be turned fully right on the Solina V2 in case you have edited it. EDIT END
Yes, it's turned fully right. And based on the Arturia Software Center, it's indeed v2 that I got with the V Collection 7. The preset is called "Diamond strings", but I do get this pulsation or wah-wah on any Solina sound.

LBH

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 05:10:44 pm »
What wah-wah?
Like a pulsation, one cycle per second, or like a very slow vibrato.
Then i think it's the Ensemble effect you mean. The Red button to the right of the instrument buttons next to the SOLINA V emblem.

Not sure where this is. With "extended view", do you mean the panel that opens when clicking on the wooden top of the instrument
Yes it's also possible to open extended view this way.
In the LFO section you have settings for Vibrato and Tremolo.

Pierre Meleuc

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 05:30:15 pm »
Many thanks, LBH.
I did find the Tremolo and Vibrato in the LFO section, but setting to zero didn't change anything.
This wah-wah is indeed coming from the Ensemble. But removing it totally kills the sound  :'(. I can try other presets in the V Collection, but Rick Wright, in Shine On You Crazy Diamond, did use a Solina and it had that sound, including the deep bass, but not this pulsation.
But again, thanks, now I understand where it's coming from. I'll keep exploring.
Best regards,
Pierre

PS : I purchased a "Floyd Tribute" bank, but the "Shine On ReberbStrngs" are nowhere near with the bass and still have that pulsation anyway ; so if you have a "recipe", I'll take it happily  :D

LBH

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 07:40:15 pm »
Your welcome.

I believe Pink Floyd also used an organ and more together with a Solina in that intro.

I suggest you exsperiment.

One thing you can try, just to hear a difference is to turn off the Ensemble in the Diamond Strings Preset and then turn up the FX1 Chorus. Try different amounts.

Pierre Meleuc

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 11:30:30 pm »
Many thanks, will do. This is just great stuff.
Best regards,
Pierre

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines