April 19, 2024, 06:42:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Loving it!  (Read 3281 times)

gregwalton42

Loving it!
« on: April 29, 2019, 05:29:42 pm »
This is one that I had suggested as a possible future V Collection member. I knew Arturia would be able to do good things with it. Yes, there are other Mellotron plugins around but Arturia have made this their own in a number of ways.

For a start the sound is cleaner and fuller than most other Mellotron options. In some ways it is nearer to an ideal Mellotron than a completely accurate model. On the real thing there were often huge differences between the samples on adjacent keys, some samples ended strangely (with a groan or a scrape) and some ended early. Often recordings of Mellotron strings sound harsh and strident - due to the amplification used, in a lot of cases. And, of course, they were notoriously unreliable. I only got to play a real 'tron once, rather briefly, but you felt aware of what was going on inside and how easily it could all break down.

This version is much smoother all round. Purists might possibly complain that it is too ideal but the essential feel of the Mellotron sound is still there and that is what most of us want.

And then they go and spoil us by giving us the ability to load and loop our own samples. This is what I've been doing and it is so easy, so fulfilling and gives a real Mellotron character. The real-time stretching takes a bit of CPU effort and I've found I need to increase my audio interface buffers to avoid crackling but it all renders just fine in the end.

I have to add that I love the new effects system, though I mostly add external effects in my DAW. It makes it easy to try things out.

Overall I love it! Thanks, Arturia

Kevin R

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Loving it!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 04:53:32 am »
Agree with you completely. This is something I'd been hoping Arturia would do for a long time and it's a great addition to their line-up. I've had another Melly plugin for several years but it doesn't have all the features the Arturia Melly has. Very much looking forward to making my own tapes. Love that Mellotron sound! I wonder if they're going to offer new tape packages for it the way they offer new preset packages for the other instruments?

gregwalton42

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 09:44:25 am »
Turning off "Stretch" when you can makes User samples much more buffer-friendly. You can always resample stretched sounds and map them across the Mellotron V keyboard range

TimeEchoProductions

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 06:06:24 pm »
Can you import a user sample Per Key?

parodise

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 11:37:16 pm »
Best and most useful Mellotron Emulation I ever heard.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines