March 29, 2024, 08:28:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Full velocity setting for drum pads implemented yet Y/N?  (Read 4630 times)

Sparkem

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Full velocity setting for drum pads implemented yet Y/N?
« on: April 26, 2019, 07:37:58 pm »
A while ago I requested that the drumpads should be able to trigger at full velocity only(For triggering my analog drum machines) if desired but no setting to do this, I requested a support, they said the feature had been missed and not implemented - I was told they would get on the case, this was 6 months ago. Is their any news/firmware update?

Sparkem

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Full velocity setting for drum pads implemented yet Y/N?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 08:13:43 pm »
It's the midi control centre that needs the update to set FULL velocity on pads, it seems still not been implemented in the latest updates of the software, I've just updated everything and checked the changelog for infos.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 09:39:43 pm »
You can do this on the Mk1. I'm sure you must be able to do this on the mkII. Check the manual.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Sparkem

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 10:14:13 pm »
You can do this on the Mk1. I'm sure you must be able to do this on the mkII. Check the manual.

No they admitted they thought it wasn't done, all I can choose for velocity is LOG, LIN and EXP, none are FULL. They even admitted via support that it was not there but should be. To be honest I thought a button press would of been available on the hardware like an Akia MPD has - I sold my Akai when ordering this as it had built in pads :( If they are wrong about this I'd be interested.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 10:33:12 pm »
I just checked the manual, and to my utter disbelief it seems you are right. On the Mk1 it's possible to set the minimum and maximum velocity range for each pad from 1-127, but the only thing you can do on the mkII is adjust the curve style. Yet they've chosen to give you an option to set the pads' minimum and maximum aftertouch range. Literally no one will need to do that. Not ever.

I would love to have been at the board meeting when presumably a majority of the designers agreed this was a good idea. It's definitely something that would put me off upgrading my Keylab 49 Mk1 to a MkII, because one of the first things I did within minutes of setting it up was adjust the pads' velocity ranges so their minimum velocity is 100, otherwise I have to beat them with the force of a thousand suns to get a 127 out of them.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Sparkem

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 10:49:52 pm »
Thanks for verifying, yes its a basic thing that should be there but isn't, they promised a fix months ago, so I left it as I'm busy with work. But thought id check their progress today and nothing has been done as yet. Arturia if you are reading, are you still fixing this? Cheers.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 11:22:54 pm »
What software are you recording in to? Maybe there is an option in your DAW to ignore the controller's velocity and always play a particular track's midi notes at maximum (127) velocity. Or you could maybe drag the note velocities up to 127 after recording. Logic Pro that I use can do both of these things, even GarageBand can do the latter, and most DAWs have more or less the same features. Might be a solution until Arturia gives you a firmware update. Their track record for doing that though is not great (see the Matrixbrute thread).

Sparkem

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 12:28:46 am »
What software are you recording in to? Maybe there is an option in your DAW to ignore the controller's velocity and always play a particular track's midi notes at maximum (127) velocity. Or you could maybe drag the note velocities up to 127 after recording. Logic Pro that I use can do both of these things, even GarageBand can do the latter, and most DAWs have more or less the same features. Might be a solution until Arturia gives you a firmware update. Their track record for doing that though is not great (see the Matrixbrute thread).

That basically what I'm doing in Cubase 9.5. I'm recording the midi then dragging up the velocity in the piano roll, its just an annoying thing that didn't need to be done with FULL velocity on my old MPD32 that I sold due to space and thinking such a basic feature would be there as default on Keylab MKII.

carl

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 03:19:21 am »
Instead of having to hand-edit the MIDI note velocities, most DAWs allow you to add an "effect" on the MIDI channel insert.  In Digital Performer, there is an effect called "Change Velocity" that you can add to MIDI channel inserts.  It works like a compressor, but if you drag the curve all the way up it forces everything to 127.

chasmo

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 08:08:00 am »
I also have problems with the pads double-triggering and inconsistently triggering when tapped with a constant velocity, no matter which velocity setting I use. I'm been a drummer for almost 30 years and an accomplished finger drummer for at least 5, so this is not user error. You can literally tap straight 8th notes with an incredibly careful and accurate consistency, and about 1/4 of them won't register at all while some will double-trigger. This is a very different instrument than the original Spark CDM controller or even the Keylab MK I, which both had excellent sensitivity and consistency on their pads.

I would normally consider that I just got a bad unit, but there are many, many people complaining of these same issues around the web. Unfortunately, I can't return the Keylab for a refund because I bought it online and the return shipping costs would be prohibitively expensive.

killajewel

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 06:00:18 pm »
Found a work-around if you're an Ableton user...Search for the Fix 127.adv preset and drop it into your fx chain before drum rack, and voila! Hope this helps :)

Sparkem

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 08:25:36 pm »
Its been fixed in the midi control centre or whatever it is, Full (fixed) can be set at 0-127 now. How long ago was this fixed?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines