March 28, 2024, 10:26:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Pigments and Studio One  (Read 3232 times)

cshearly

• Apprentice
Pigments and Studio One
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:14:48 pm »
As an "older" keyboard player (1970's and '80's) getting back into playing with synths and laying down some tracks digitally, I'm intrigued by Pigments and have enjoyed my initial experiments. Trying to tech an old dog new tricks takes time so I'm hoping this forum will help with that.

My first question is: Is there a way to use Pigments with Studio One 4 Artist or am I obliged to shell out for Studio One 4 Professional to use these two pieces of software together? To me it looks like VST is not supported by the Artist version. Is there another way?

Thank you.

LBH

Re: Pigments and Studio One
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:06:00 am »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

Arturias software applications are plug-ins like any other plug-ins and Arturias can also be used as standalone versions outside a DAW/ Host. So this question is about your DAW, if you wan't to record something.

Studio One Artist does not support third party plug-ins like Arturias or others, like you can see here: https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/compare-versions

So to use the plug-ins in a DAW you need a DAW that can do this. So you can find another DAW than Studio One, or upgrade to Stdui One Professionel or buy a VST add-on for your Studio One Artist - i think like this but ask Presonus if needed: https://shop.presonus.com/VST-and-AU-and-Rewire-Support

Choose what's best for you.

cshearly

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 01:50:17 am »
Does anyone have a suggestion for a "better" DAW for keyboardists?

puremusic

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 10:26:58 pm »
Studio One is actually one of the most user friendly/easiest to use DAWs I know of.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 04:26:43 am »

I'd suggest trying some demos to see what works best for you and fits your budget. The hosts' price and complexities have a wide range. I'd first suggest taking a look at PreSonus Studio One then Reaper, Image-Line FL Studio, MuTools MuLab, Bitwig Studio, MOTU Digital Performer, Steinberg Cubase, and Ableton Live. Also note that several of Arturia's hardware options, like the MiniLab MKII or KeyLab, come with Ableton Live Lite. You can find more options in KVR Audio's Product Database.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 04:28:27 am by CC4 »

LilHossBigJake

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 07:16:37 pm »
Hi ,

I am much like you,

70s 80s musician that got back into it in the early 2000s, Mostly keyboards. I had a Yamaha C1 computer with voyetra software if that ages me, so be it.

I like Studio One as it works well once you get into it. It runs like a tape deck unlike a few other daws out there. Ableton is cool, but I do not think in loops, so I put that one to bed.

Two midi things to know. Studio One ignores sysex. Mostly a problem if you are trying to send data to outboard gear like patch data, or memory dumps. Lately I have noticed that multiple midi channels seem to have been dropped from the same track. Simple fix, copy to another track, change the channel, and call it good. It could be me as the upgrade to Version 4 was pretty intense.

No matter what you choose, things have changed ;). It has been a great learning experience catching up so to speak. It is great to have synths you owned or wished to own at your disposal as well as not shelling out studio time for demos.

Barry

1Composer

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 12:49:03 pm »

Without a doubt, the professional and FREE Cakewalk by BandLab, abbreviated as CbB.

The BandLab company bought Cakewalk Sonar DAW from Gibson a year ago, when Gibson filed bankruptcy.  The great news is that while Sonar by Cakewalk was always on the cutting edge and the oldest DAW around, (started out as a MIDI DAW in the 1980s running on Microsoft DOS!), BandLab also hired a couple of the programmers when they assumed Sonar, and the programmers have been making constant improvements and also responding to the old "wish list" and the new version is more stable and has better features than ever before.

Get it here:  https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

The BandLab model is to give the DAW away for free, which people anticipate is eventually going to get integrated into their music collaboration website, which they claim to have millions of users worldwide (I have no idea if that number is true, but that's what they said).  They will also start making money by selling VSTs and VSTi's.  This is expected pretty soon, too.

The DAW is top notch and free.  (Windows only)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:54:11 pm by 1Composer »

cshearly

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 05:32:39 am »
Thank you for the advice.

Aymara

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 09:35:49 am »
Short Tip: Presonus seems to have major discounts every late fall.

Last year I updated S1 Artist to Pro for just 150€.

And S1 Artist is usually included in Presonus hardware like the Atom or their audio interfaces.
Greetings from Germany
Chris

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines