March 28, 2024, 03:03:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Question about sequencing.  (Read 3155 times)

BrodieSkiddlz

Question about sequencing.
« on: April 10, 2019, 08:37:27 am »
So I picked up a copy of Analog Lab 3 today and was exploring the  various presets. Most everything sounds really great, but I'm having a problem and can't seem to find the answer. Maybe because its obvious and I'm missing it but..

In the sequencer presets, I see that a lot of the sequencers that are applied to the presets follow a diatonic pattern. Like if you set it up to sequence or arpeggiate an A natural, these sequencers will add in a C and an E, which gives a natural minor sound. In other words,  It arpeggiates a 1st, a flat 3rd, and a fifth. It sounds really  great until you try to shift to another chord. Say you want to play an A minor chord, and then an F major, when you actually trigger an F natural, it still applies the minor structure to the fundamental note. Giving F, A flat, and C. If I want a major chord  to play here, Id have to edit the sequencing  to reach a major third instead of the minor third its defaulted to.

I can't find any controls  in this instrument to change that pattern. Can you not change it? That seems like a pretty major restriction. I can't actually use the sequenced sounds unless I just stay on the tonic note the entire song. That can be a little boring so I'd much rather use a full progression. But I can't do that with these presets unless I can change the sequencer. I just end  up with a  non diatonic  progression full of  nothing but natural minor chords. Surely  there's  a way to  make these useable?

Thanks for the help guys.

LBH

Re: Question about sequencing.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 01:23:54 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

FYI: You are in a old forum for another product. There is a Analog Lab 3 forum further down the page. And there is posts that's about this topic.

That said, then you'll need the full application a sequence is made in, to be able to change the steps, and be able to in example create one preset for Major and one for Minor, where that's needed.
Tempo parameters is also availble in the full applications.

Keep in mind, you also can load the full applications you own, inside Analog Lab. So there is no restrictions, you just does'nt get a full V-Collection free or for a smaller price than the V-Collection it self.

BrodieSkiddlz

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 09:20:16 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

FYI: You are in a old forum for another product. There is a Analog Lab 3 forum further down the page. And there is posts that's about this topic.

That said, then you'll need the full application a sequence is made in, to be able to change the steps, and be able to in example create one preset for Major and one for Minor, where that's needed.
Tempo parameters is also availble in the full applications.

Keep in mind, you also can load the full applications you own, inside Analog Lab. So there is no restrictions, you just does'nt get a full V-Collection free or for a smaller price than the V-Collection it self.

My mistake, i didn't realize I was in the wrong place. Can I ask what you mean by the full application? I was pretty sure I bought the full application seeing how expensive it was. There's really even more I need to buy to be able to control this?

LBH

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:23:13 pm »
Have a look here: https://www.arturia.com/products - Click on "Software Instruments" in the menu.
V-Collection contain all the individual applications that Analog Lab 3 can host and use presets from. If you don't have the full application for a preset, then there are parameters, that you can't access in Analog Lab 3.

Analog Lab 3 can also use presets from here: https://www.arturia.com/analoglab/sounds and from third party vendors you may find that create any.

Analog Lab 3 can add functionality to V-Collection. But Analog Lab 3 can't do all things, that you can do when owning the individual full applications where the presets have been made.

In my opinion you actually get a lot for the money in Analog Lab 3. You have many edit possibilities. But if you prefere to go very deep into programming your own presets, then you might need the full individual applications. Keep in mind, that a full applications sequencer can be different from another, if they have a sequencer, - and so on.
The sounds in Analog Lab is made in many applications. Only the Multi presets is put together in Analog Lab 3.

If you only have Analog Lab 3 for this price: https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/analoglab/overview -
and you do not have any full individual applications for the price they have individually or the whole V-Collection for this price: https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/v-collection/overview ., then there will be some things you can't do, and among what you can't do is programming steps in the individual full applications that have a sequencer.
What do you own?

In the "Main features" at the bottom of Analog Lab 3s product site you can read this:

"Presets are carefully selected from our V Collection 6 (ARP 2600 V, B-3 V, CS-80 V, Farfisa V, Jup-8 V, Matrix-12 V, Mini V, Modular V, Prophet V, Prophet VS, SEM V, Solina V, Stage-73 V, Synclavier V, Piano V2, Vox Continental V, Wurli V, Buchla Easel V, Clavinet V, DX7 V and CMI V)"

And this:

"Full preset editing available for owners of the full versions of our synthesizers (Mini V, Modular V, CS-80V, Wurlitzer V, etc.)"

Analog Lab 3 is included in V-Collection 6. If you have made a mistake yesterday buing only Analog Lab 3, and wan't to buy the full V-Collection instead, then try and contact Arturia sale through your account.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines