March 28, 2024, 11:52:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keystep v2  (Read 3188 times)

grifmx

Keystep v2
« on: April 04, 2019, 05:27:09 pm »
just purchased a Keystep as thinking of putting a live band together. I'm sure this list will grow as I use it but here goes right off the bat:
- properly hinged keys over-hinged at the back of the unit so springiness is no different on front or back of each key (keyboard is good but this would make it great)
- 4 assignable knobs for midi controllers on the right side of the unit
- Bluetooth Midi - battery power
- guitar strap hooks

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Keystep v2
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 08:08:23 am »
Hear, hear! I've asked for this already, here are my requests for a KeyStep Pro/Mkii: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=93091.msg150978#msg150978
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 01:04:34 pm »
just purchased a Keystep as thinking of putting a live band together. I'm sure this list will grow as I use it but here goes right off the bat:
- properly hinged keys over-hinged at the back of the unit so springiness is no different on front or back of each key (keyboard is good but this would make it great)
- Bluetooth Midi - battery power
- guitar strap hooks
Good suggestions. I think some of these would be more likely to appear on a KeyStep Pro than a MkII. I could see the MkII possibly having BT MIDI because a lot of controllers are going that way. But assignable knobs and better keys would probably be reserved for a KS Pro. I'm not sure they'll ever fit guitar lugs on a KeyStep, though I can see where you're coming from.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Benjamin AM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 03:46:34 pm »
I would be nice if they fixed they're current product before moving on to something else. False promises.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 01:07:56 pm »
I would be nice if they fixed they're current product before moving on to something else. False promises.
What would you say is broken? Perhaps I've been lucky but I can't deny it just works fine for me?
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

mrhooks

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 02:40:38 am »
In terms of features they might be able to add via firmware, what I want most is some way to select the range of the arp.  (I realize this would best be done with an extra knob with detents, or with extra buttons, but maybe Shift+Rate or some button combination could be used.)  Perhaps someone can tell me what I'm missing, but it seems to me that the current way of inputting some notes, then shifting the keyboard range, then inputting more notes, makes the arp useless in a live setting if you want 3-octave arps, especially if you want to be able to arpeggiate a chord progression.  If I need a multi-octave arp with different notes in each octave, I can always use the sequencer;  however, there is no substitute for being able to hit a chord with one hand and having it instantly play across 3 octaves.  I think it was a mistake to favor complexity over live usability.

Otherwise, I can think of many other things I would love to have, but they probably would be better implemented in a KeyStep Pro:

- 37 full-size keys (or at least, keys that are longer than what is currently on the KeyStep, and at least as wide)
- Lights to indicate the Mod strip "position"
- More save slots
- Some kind of display and encoder combo to access saved sequences, see the current tempo, access features currently only accessible thru MIDI Control Center, etc.
- A second sequencer with its own time division control
- Sequence chaining (and the ability to save them, of course)
- Separate Mod/Velocity/Aftertouch CV outputs
- Sequencing of Pitch/Mod strips, Velocity, and Aftertouch
- Step buttons (if 64 buttons won't fit, then 32 with a 1-32/33-64 selector) for seeing which step is active, which steps contain data, muting steps, and changing sequence length on the fly (or even selecting saved sequences)
- USB-B or C port instead of whatever the KeyStep currently has

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:50:36 am by mrhooks »

Bernhard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 01:46:33 pm »
Yes please, definitely more storage locations. Thanks!

puremusic

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 10:58:42 pm »
With the current Keystep, I'm glad the button light level is controllable now, though the octave buttons flashing is still not something that can be turned off.

I'd like it if the next edition of the Keystep had deeper key travel when pressed, it feels like it's stopping up short to me. That might be too much of a redesign to expect though.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com

gphantom

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 03:36:11 pm »
An extra key travel option would probably mean another hundred dollars added to the cost.  On the other hand, it is a new device and who knows what can come of it.  Maybe a 49 or 61 key version?  Maybe other companies might come out with their own version?  It will be interesting to see just where this all leads to.

masi

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 06:38:07 pm »
- Lights to indicate the Mod strip "position"
- Some kind of display and encoder combo to access saved sequences, see the current tempo, access features currently only accessible thru MIDI Control Center, etc.
- Sequence chaining (and the ability to save them, of course)
- Separate Mod/Velocity/Aftertouch CV outputs
- Sequencing of Pitch/Mod strips, Velocity, and Aftertouch
- A digital readout in numbers (or a set of multiple static LEDs, say five where starting from left means down) that show current ocatve transpose - no more flashing!!!!
- An additional expression pedal IN
- Separate Sustain/Expression CV outputs
- CV outputs for the aforementioned assignable knobs
- LEDs that show the current sequence play position (16 plus 4 to signify range within 64, or 32 with color coding blue/red for 1-32/33-64)

Masi

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines