March 29, 2024, 12:32:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keystep not working with 9 volt power supply. Why?  (Read 11047 times)

damnedcat777

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Noise noise noise.
Keystep not working with 9 volt power supply. Why?
« on: March 18, 2019, 01:01:38 am »
My Keystep worked with the proper 9 volt power supply, then one day it stopped working. What is the fix? I have read it could be in boot loader mode. How do I get it out? WTF?  A lot of money to spend for something that worked for all of 2 weeks.
"Why do single coil pickups hum? Because they don't know the words"

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Keystep not working with 9 volt power supply. Why?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 12:45:49 pm »
1) Maybe the power supply has fried. Have you checked with a multimeter that there is 9V DC at the plug?
2) If you've ruled out the power supply, maybe the KeyStep will still work when plugged in to a computer via USB. If it does, try a hardware reset by plugging it in while holding down the oct-minus and oct-plus buttons. Then try it with just the power supply again.
3) If you still can't get it working with a power supply, it could be a dry joint on the power socket on the circuit board. If it's still under the manufacturer's warranty, hopefully you have kept a copy of the receipt (electronic or otherwise). If so, return it for repair or exchange from where you bought it.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

damnedcat777

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Noise noise noise.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 12:09:26 am »
Its not the power supply, tried many.  Its not a reset, tried that too.  It seems to be something a lot of people complain about online. It's no longer under warranty, and it does work on the USB.  Its just the USB doesn't stay plugged in very well, os the unit is constantly becoming unplugged.  And it seems to happen alot with these: the power supply just stops working.  Is there a software fix, or is it a poor solder joint?  Does the power HAVE to be .5A?  Can it be 2.5A?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 01:09:22 pm »
Probably a dry solder joint. Fixing it will be a bottom-off job, ideally you want a multimeter to accurately diagnose the problem (e.g. checking for continuity from the socket to the board), and a soldering iron.

The issue with the USB lead is one that drives me to distraction as well. I go through leads like I go through butter, because after constantly plugging it in and out on a device which by its very nature is designed to be portable, the friction clips on the micro USB plug don't hold it firmly in the socket so I have to buy another lead. It's a crap design that could have been avoided had Arturia fitted a full sized USB socket, which there is plenty of room for. Arturia just chose to sacrifice the controller's reliability for the sake of literally a few cents.

Yes you can use a 2.5A power supply. You're mixing up current with voltage. If you feed it double the voltage you'll fry it, but current is different. The controller requires a power supply that can deliver a current of at least 500mA (0.5A). There is no maximum, because the controller will still draw no more than 500mA, and probably less, because I imagine the recommended 500mA is overstating the requirement a bit just to discourage using it with weedy 150mA dollar-store power supplies which will under power it.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

René - mediastreams

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:55:48 am »
Check the polarity of the power supply.

The manual states the following,

VDC IN (with optional adapter) KeyStep can be used as a stand-alone device without a computer or tablet. Simply connect an optional power adapter to your KeyStep (9V DC, 500mA, positive to ground).

But on the back of the keystep is the DC connection (9V DC, 500mA,
NEGATIVE to ground.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 04:51:41 pm »
Check the polarity of the power supply.

The manual states the following,

VDC IN (with optional adapter) KeyStep can be used as a stand-alone device without a computer or tablet. Simply connect an optional power adapter to your KeyStep (9V DC, 500mA, positive to ground).

But on the back of the keystep is the DC connection (9V DC, 500mA,
NEGATIVE to ground.
This is good advice, you're right the manual is contradictory: the image on the back of the controller shows center-positive but the manual infers it is center-negative. However I mentally ruled it out as a possibility (and hence didn't mention it) because OP said the socket was working, and presumably he hasn't changed the polarity of the power supply. Definitely worth checking though!

damnedcat777

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Noise noise noise.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 03:49:57 pm »
As per the polarity contradiction, I followed the back of the unit for which is positive and which is negative. It worked just fine using a power supply up to spec (9v positive pin, negative barrel). Until it didn’t. It just stopped one day.  I’m Going to try opening her up today. Hopefully it’s a solder joint issue, something I’m experienced in fixing. As for USB power supply via the mini plug: just, yuck. It’s not dependable enough for, really, anything. How many times have I plugged in a device to charge overnight, only to wake up and find said device dead, as the plug again wiggled it’s way out on its own. Either completely disconnected, or disconnected just enough that it no longer makes a circuit. USB was barely adequate as it is, but mini USB? You’d think the minds that came up with laptops, apps, smart phones, and midi, would’ve/could’ve come up with a better idea than just the silicone valley version of taping two bare wires together with old band aids. I mean... c’mon. Really?

Anyone solve this problem? It obviously occurs often enough. I’d hate to crack her open and either not solve the problem, find the problem unsolvable this route, or worse: break the device in the process of trying to fix it (we don’t know what we don’t know, until we do) and not have it work via 9v OR the mini USB.  That would SO stink.

Any/all input will be greatly appreciated.

Arturia forever!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:54:07 pm by damnedcat777 »

damnedcat777

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Noise noise noise.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 05:29:38 am »
Ok, took the whole thing apart.  It is NOT the 9 volt input. That works fine. It HAS to be something in the firmware. It just HAS to be. I’m thinking since this just stopped while I left the unit on overnight, something in the software is telling it To no longer power on via the 9 volt input. I did another firmware update, and still: no luck. I’ve noticed people have also mentioned this problem in other places on the web. Any chance of a firmware fix for this? The firmware for the keystep is a bit old.  Thoughts?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 08:34:51 am »
Ok, took the whole thing apart.  It is NOT the 9 volt input. That works fine. It HAS to be something in the firmware. It just HAS to be. I’m thinking since this just stopped while I left the unit on overnight, something in the software is telling it To no longer power on via the 9 volt input. I did another firmware update, and still: no luck. I’ve noticed people have also mentioned this problem in other places on the web. Any chance of a firmware fix for this? The firmware for the keystep is a bit old.  Thoughts?

Don't think it's anything to do with firmware, more likely something has gone awry with the 9v power connection while you left it on overnight. Did you pull apart the KeyStep or the PSU? If you know how to test components maybe pull apart the KeyStep and check the components in the PSU input section of the circuit. I have a feeling it's something in there that is wrong if you can power-on via USB but not the 9v input. I've left my KeyStep on for months at a time and not had any problem.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 01:13:42 pm »

Don't think it's anything to do with firmware, more likely something has gone awry with the 9v power connection while you left it on overnight. Did you pull apart the KeyStep or the PSU? If you know how to test components maybe pull apart the KeyStep and check the components in the PSU input section of the circuit. I have a feeling it's something in there that is wrong if you can power-on via USB but not the 9v input. I've left my KeyStep on for months at a time and not had any problem.
^^^Good advice. They just wouldn't put anything in the firmware which would 'ignore' the 9V power input if it had been left plugged in but unused for a period of time. And in any case, when you unplug it, the power goes off so the firmware wouldn't know how long it's been plugged in. It's a hardware fault of some sort, clearly.

gphantom

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 06:10:03 pm »
If the 9v supply's capacitor went on the fritz, it would then supply AC power instead of DC.  You might want to check that out with a multimeter.  If it's 9v, the meter will register in the AC mode as well as the DC mode.  If the supply is now sending AC, the meter in DC mode shouldn't be reading any voltage or very little but in AC mode, it should show the actual voltage.

If you plug it into the USB port, does it still work?  If so, it could also be the regulator in the keystep itself.  If plugging it into the USB doesn't work, you have a problem.
I know I lost a laptop because it was constantly on the charger and some of the voltage regulators inside had fried.

The 9v adapter would be reduced to 5v internally (USBs provide 5v) so if there is a problem in the keystep (and the USB connection works) then the regulator inside went bye-bye.  Should be easy to fix (unless they're using surface mount parts in which case... Not so easy)
Good luck

René - mediastreams

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 01:01:21 am »
The keystep operates internally at 3.3 volts.
There is a security diode close to the USB and DC connection.
Check this diode. Measure with a multimeter on diode or resistor position.

marcome

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 07:08:13 pm »
Hey damnedcat777, what did you end up doing?
I'm having the same issue today. For more than one year my Keystep worked perfectly on 9V power supply, then today it stopped -- while I was playing it. Lights off, dead. Still works with USB though. Tried reset, actually updated the firmware (great update btw) and Midi control center.

EDIT: it was my power supply's fault. I tried a different one and it's working.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:14:51 pm by marcome »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines