March 28, 2024, 07:44:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Just looking for a bit of basic advice please  (Read 1665 times)

SlopeSoarer

Just looking for a bit of basic advice please
« on: February 06, 2019, 10:40:36 am »
I play guitar and am doing a fair bit of music theory, there being a lot of overlap with keyboards has got me thinking about getting a midi keyboard.

I've looked around at a number of reviews and keep coming back to the Arturia Minilab 2 however I've seen a Microbrute (which I believe is a different kettle of fish) which appeals (probably for all the wrong reasons).

I know I have a lot to learn but just what would be your thoughts for a beginner, who really at this present time has no clear direction other than wanting to try and make some nice sounds and stretch his brain a bit.

I don't want to spend a fortune £175, is my limit really (I have the chance to get the Microbrute for just under that price). I have Ableton Lite (if that's any use).

With either of these systems could I just use my Windows 10 PC and my computer speakers to get me going?

Sorry for the really basic questions but just need pointing in the right direction in the first instance.... then I'll ask a lot more: )

Thanks in anticipation.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Just looking for a bit of basic advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 12:40:30 pm »
Welcome

Broadly, keyboards are divided into two types:

1) Synths/keyboards/workstations/pianos, all which actually make sounds themselves;
2) MIDI controllers, which make no sounds and require being plugged into a computer or a sound-module (synth box without keys).

The minilab is an example of the latter, being a MIDI controller which comes with a cut-down version of Arturia Analog Lab. Install Analog Lab on your computer, connect the MiniLab via a USB cable, and away you go.

The Microbrute is an example of the former: it's a synthesizer in its own right, and does not need to be rigged-up to any other hardware (other than amp/speakers) to make sounds. Though like most instruments in category 1), it can still be used as MIDI controller if you desire, though that's a bit of a waste if that's all you are going to do with it, plus you'd be paying for functionality you don't need.

Have a think and report back.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

SlopeSoarer

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 02:09:31 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

Out of interest what could could be recommended as a budget starter set up regarding amp/speakers should I decide to go the Microbrute route. Ignore the last I've just found keyboard combos, doh!

As a 59 year old I have grown up with and always been fascinated with synth music but never thought that I would be able to afford something half decent, which the Microbrute appears to be. I still do like the fact that it has sound built in.

I think for the price and my true lack of direction to me it sounds like the Minilab Mk2 is probably the way to go as it seems to me like there is enough to get me going and I could simply use through my computer, though I guess it is likely I will want to add sounds at some stage.

I probably should get down to Rimmers and have a look and a chat: )

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:22:44 pm by SlopeSoarer »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 06:17:16 pm »

I probably should get down to Rimmers and have a look and a chat: )
Good luck whatever route you take. My branch of Rimmers is quite small , and choice is limited seeing they like to have a finger in every pie. In the 80s, it was an organ / keyboard shop, that's all they sold, not guitars, drums, etc etc. So they did that very well, considering the shop was not exactly massive. But now it's keyboards, drums, guitars, you name it, and consequently they're a jack of all trades master of none.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines