March 28, 2024, 02:40:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sustain Pedal , MiDI Cables  (Read 2897 times)

Lakelander

Sustain Pedal , MiDI Cables
« on: February 04, 2019, 10:51:52 pm »
Hello , I am new to the forum. I would like to ask several questions,

1- I have a Keylab Essentials 61 keyboard. I was wondering what is the recommended sustain pedal for this particular unit that I can buy from Amazon ?

2- KL Essentila has one MIDI out. I have Focusrite Claret Pre USB external audio interface with MIDI in and OUT ports. I am trying to figure how do I  make a proper connections and what type of connectors I need for

MAC laptop > Keylab>Focusrite ?  IS this the correct part for this purpose :https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5DFDQX?pf_rd_p=1581d9f4-062f-453c-b69e-0f3e00ba2652&pf_rd_r=MVJPVTQ7M8HCGKCSQ9Y4

Thank you all

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Sustain Pedal , MiDI Cables
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 11:37:24 pm »
Welcome.

Any sustain pedal should work. It's basically just a foot operated switch. I bought the M-Audio SP-2. It works really well but suffers badly from 'floor creep' on my laminate floor. I've been thinking of buying a rubber floor mat to put under it.

The MIDI cable you linked to is a USB MIDI interface for connecting computers to old synths and workstations which do not have a USB connection. It is not what you need. Personally I would connect the KeyLab Essential direct to your computer with a USB cable, but if you're intent on connecting it to your Focusrite, you will need a regular DIN to DIN MIDI cable like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-MIDI-Cable-Connector-Molded/dp/B009GUP7U8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549320701&sr=8-3&keywords=midi+cable

You will also need a 9V DC mains adaptor (wall wart) to power the KeyLab Essential, because MIDI cables do not carry power, only digital data.

Given that you are not intending to use your KeyLab Essential with legacy MIDI gear, you really would be far better off just connecting it directly to your computer or to a USB hub, which will eliminate the need for old-fashioned MIDI cables and a separate power supply.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:39:44 pm by MajorFubar »
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines