April 24, 2024, 03:55:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Data corruption bug in Keystep/MIDIO control center combo  (Read 1242 times)

fungus

• Apprentice
Data corruption bug in Keystep/MIDIO control center combo
« on: March 01, 2019, 04:37:47 pm »
If you open the MIDI control center and do a "sync" while  a sequence is playing on the Keystep, the sync with will fail and the data (your sequences, etc.) can get corrupted.

The sync is done with MIDI 'sysex' and it seems to be that the sysex messages get mixed up with the sequencer notes when MIDI Control Center reads the Keystep memory.

To reproduce it:
a) Program a sequence, press the play button, turn tempo to max speed.
b) Sync the keyboard a couple of times in MCC and the sequence will be corrupted.

Solution: MCC should tell the sequencer to stop before doing a sync.

(yes, I've just lost an hour's work thanks to this bug)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:40:56 pm by fungus »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Data corruption bug in Keystep/MIDIO control center combo
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 09:10:12 pm »
Leaving it playing a sequence while you're essentially flashing its firmware is a pretty dumb thing to do, unless of course it was a genuine oversight (ie you just plain forgot to turn it off). Either way, it sounds like you learned the hard way, and you won't do it again.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

fungus

• Apprentice
Re: Data corruption bug in Keystep/MIDIO control center combo
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 03:06:56 pm »
I'm not sure exactly what happened but I know I spent a while trying to enter some sequences and later on they got corrupted by MIDI control center.

By experimentation I found you can corrupt them quite consistently using the method above.

The point is: This could be fixed with a simple firmware change - send a MIDI message to stop the sequencer before doing a sync.

PS: Maybe other Arturia devices suffer from the same problem.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines