March 28, 2024, 05:40:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi Thru  (Read 7049 times)

CRGxxx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Midi Thru
« on: February 18, 2019, 03:44:00 pm »
Hi people.

Sorry to ask what seems like a very basic question but does BSP actually do midi Thru??
I see the option saying midi thru enable under device settings in midi control centre but it doesnt seem to work beyond sending clock.

Essentially I am trying to setup my BSP so that I can use without a DAW with a bunch of Volcas etc but with a DAW when I am ready/desire. When using with a DAW I would like the BSP to be my main midi device however when I tried to send notes from my launchpad pro through a DAW (tried cakewalk & S1) to my rocket I get nothing??
I ended up having to change my setup so that BSP send over usb to my DAW & DAW sends out thru my launchpad. Not the end of the world but it means I have to have a different configuration when using a computer.

Cheers

Craig

BodoBrute

Re: Midi Thru
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 08:47:02 am »
The BSP doesn't do MIDI Thru. In an all-MIDI setup it is imho best to use a MIDI Thru box such as the Kenton MIDI Thru 5.

If you connect only 2 devices to the MIDI Out (but needn't pass MIDI signals except for the clock), a cheap phone splitter (Belkin) will do the job, I do that for connecting two Volcas. But then my BSP MIDI-In receives nothing but a clock signal from my E-RM MIDIClock...

For a anything more sophisticated than just inputting a clock signal and outputting MIDI to not more than two devices, use a MIDI Thru box :).

CRGxxx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 04:52:32 pm »
Awesome, thanks so much for the assertive info.

In my opinion that is absolutely bonkers.... why on earth one wouldn't  include that very basic function into a Midi sequencer DAW controller product I will never know........ I had a hunch that was going on but I'm still semi shocked all the same.....

Bests

Craig

whyistherenophonesupport

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:41:07 pm »
In my opinion that is absolutely bonkers.... why on earth one wouldn't  include that very basic function into a Midi sequencer DAW controller product I will never know........ I had a hunch that was going on but I'm still semi shocked all the same.....

It's hilarious because the Beatstep Pro page proudly exclaims that it "plays well with others (very, very well)." This is just not true. Especially with the Keystep also not having midi thru; you can't even use the two together with an external synth without also needed a midi merge device.

It's a great idea for a product with very clunky implementation.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:44:51 pm by whyistherenophonesupport »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 05:02:00 am »
...the Keystep also not having midi thru...

The Keystep has the options to either send received data thru or transpose.  It is set in MCC. 
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines