March 28, 2024, 09:45:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: ALL Arturia controller devices suddenly not recognised in Win 10  (Read 10071 times)

bigblip

• Apprentice
ALL Arturia controller devices suddenly not recognised in Win 10
« on: February 13, 2019, 02:11:48 am »
I'm at a loss to know what's going on. Basically, all my Arturia devices (Keystep, MiniLab MkII, Keylab Essentials 49, Beatstep Pro, Minibrute) have suddenly stopped being recognised by Windows! I can't think of any single thing that has changed that might have caused this.  Here are the facts and the troubleshooting I have done so far:

1. MCC sees that the devices are connected, but then throws up the 'Failed to open the device. Please verify the device is not in use by another application' message. There are no other apps open that I am aware of that might use MIDI. Studio One is not loaded. I have been through Task Manager but can't find anything obvious.
2. The devices appear to be functioning, in that on all of them I can press pads or buttons and they light up, they just don't connect to Windows, beyond receiving power.
3. Other midi controllers seem to be working fine (Presonus Atom, Presonus Faderport) (see also note 10)
4. I have tried different USB ports (2.0 and 3.0, on the front of the pc, on the back and on two powered hubs) - same result in all cases
5. I have tried numerous different USB cables, including the ones used by the Atom and Faderport that are known good cables
6. The Minibrute plays fine - but doesn't show up in BruteConnection
7. Device Manager shows the devices as 'Other Devices' , not in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section. Clicking on Properties comes up with ' The drivers for this device are not installed (Code28). there are no compatible drivers for this device. To find a driver for this device click Update Driver. Doing this, and going through all the options to install a driver, comes up with the same message each time: Windows encountered a problem installing the drivers for your device' Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them. The system cannot find the file specified. The driver it finds (but can't install is USB Audio Device). It's the same for all devices.
8. I have deleted the devices from Device Manager, rebooted, but same result.
9. I have tested all devices individually.
10. Other USB devices, including the Atom and the Faderport, are working fine, but they have separate drivers. It seems to be the class compliant devices (which are all the Arturia ones) that have failed.
11. The Beatstep Pro and the MiniLab install without issue in another laptop with the same OS (Win 10) and updates. I haven't tried the other devices yet.

As I mentioned before, I cannot think of a single thing that has changed - it just all stopped working this evening. Actually, it happened when I went to plug in the MiniLab MkII, which I hadn't used for a week or two.

What other things should I be looking at from a troubleshooting point of view? It seems to be that Windows Midi over USB has fallen over somehow but I can't see how to test that or put it right. Very frustrating!

Any constructive help will be warmly welcomed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:26:19 am by bigblip »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: ALL Arturia controller devices suddenly not recognised in Win 10
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 01:06:20 pm »
I can't offer any direct experiential advice because I'm a Mac user, but my brother had broadly the same problem on his own Windows 10 PC last year (albeit not specifically with Arturia devices) which happened after a Windows 10 update. He ended up having to back up all his data, flatten the machine and rebuild it.

PC vs Mac debates are so utterly boring so I won't start one, but it was cr-p like this that drove me away from using Windows for anything productivity related.

Hope you can get it sorted.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

LBH

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 05:56:01 pm »
I don't know about MCC.

But perhaps you could try to:
1. Uninstall drivers through - and also be sure the device is removed from Windows device manager. And disconnect devices from USB ports.
2. Perhaps uninstall MCC.
3. Then try both of this, if one fails starting from point 1 again: A: restart your PC or - B: Shut down and turn on your PC.
4. Reinstall drivers and MCC.

Can't tell if this will work. But perhaps it's worth a try.

bigblip

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 09:19:41 am »
Thanks, both, for the input and suggestions.

LBH, yes, I did all of those things (thank you!), with no success. Actually, that's not quite true. I did get the Keylab working at one point and then the Keystep, but then I would add something else and the whole thing would fall over. I came to the conclusion that it was USB MIDI confusion of some sort on my main PC that was doing this, as I managed to get all devices working together without issue on a laptop. That, to me, discounted the devices as being faulty, likewise the cables.

So, from reading MajorFubar's advice (thank you!) I noticed that Windows had updated that day (I know, I know - I must turn that automatic update thing off!). So, I did a system restore to a point just before the update and bingo, I managed to get the Keylab, the Minilab and the Keystep up and running. But as soon as I installed the Beatstep Pro it fell over and all devices became unavailable. I restored  again and all was fine until I added 'too many' devices. But before I started blaming Windows Update, I realised the laptop had been updated as well, yet was not causing problems. At least I knew there was a repeatable semi-cure.

What seems to have solved it for me (at least for now) was to do a 'repair in place' re-install of Windows. That way my apps and data weren't lost. I hadn't realised this was even possible, but it seems to have done the trick. Now I can have all devices running simultaneously. I think that doing the system restore got me thinking that it was adding one too many devices that was causing the problem, hence the repair in place of Windows.

It's now my (vague) understanding, having done a LOT of browsing for cures, that Windows has a limit on the number of MIDI devices that can be installed. Now, I didn't hit this limit in terms of the physical number of devices, but it appears that every time I was plugging in a device to a different port it adds a new installation instance. These don't go away after the device is physically unplugged. Given that I have 12 USB ports on the machine itself (those on the motherboard plus a PCI card) and I was adding and removing devices pretty much daily, I wonder if I had hit that hidden limit? Reading other sources online suggest that this is the issue as well. I think the Windows repair in place took me back to a clean USB MIDI state.

From now, I will reserve a specific port for each device and make sure not to use different ports. It's ironic that I was actually trying to establish a semi-permanent controller set-up when this all went wrong in the first place!

Thanks again for your input and I hope this long winded reply helps someone else who is enjoying the same pain.

Disappointingly, no input from Arturia or a response to my support ticket yet. I found other posts on similar subjects here that seem to have gone unanswered as well. I wonder if this issue is known to them? I would say it's well worth them looking into it deeply and coming up with some kind of resolution as it has definitely made me reconsider adding another device to my setup!

Cheers!

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 12:43:50 pm »
Glad you got it sorted and pleased I was able to point you a little bit in the right direction. It definitely sounds like it was the same issue my brother had, though I'm not sure he knew there was such as thing as repair in place because I know he ended up flattening his PC and rebuilding it from scratch.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

bigblip

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 02:06:59 pm »
Cheers!

Here's the link to show how it's done for anyone else stumbling on this thread who might want to try it. Not the most inspiring of video tutorials, but it did the trick :-)

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Ben Riseman

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 09:08:49 am »
So I don't know if this will help anyone but same thing happened to me, at first when I  heard about the midi/usb issue being limited to 10 problem it rang a bell as this is what korg continues to struggle with when it comes to their devices so they put out a midi/usb Uninstaller where you can Uninstall as many as you need to to get your device within the first ten.. however I did that and it still wasn't being recognized then I remembered when I installed the midi center I saw that the usb installer actually Uninstalled the usb driver as it had already automatically installed the first time I plugged it in... then of course it dawned on me that I had already been using my minilab with a couple daws and what not prior to using the midi controller software..... so yeah I Uninstalled the midi controller software then uninstalled the usb Uninstaller just for posterity and reinstalled it and everything is fine.. like I said not sure if it's just coincidence that was my only issue or in fact a lot of us got tripped up on the same issue. Anyway hope it at least helps someone cheers all

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines