April 20, 2024, 01:10:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: PC -> Beatstep Pro -> Synthesizer  (Read 1478 times)

combat_skill

• Apprentice
PC -> Beatstep Pro -> Synthesizer
« on: February 11, 2019, 04:29:16 pm »
Hi fans of Arturia,

have a question, and may You can help me with.

My Setup:
Computer -> USB -> Beatstep Pro -> Midi Out -> Synthesizer

Iam able to send Notes from Beatstep Pro to the Synthesizer,
and Iam able to record Notes with the Beatstep Pro from my Computer

But Iam not able to send Midi Notes from my computer straight to the Synthesizer

any way to change this ?

thank You in advance :-)

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: PC -> Beatstep Pro -> Synthesizer
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 04:52:20 pm »
In the old days that's what the 'Midi Through' port was for, but most devices these days don't have one, including the BSP. Have you had a look in the Midi Control Centre for any setting which will relay incoming midi data from the USB port to the Midi Out port? If there' isn't anything, you might have to find a different way of hooking up your kit  :(
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

combat_skill

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 05:02:03 pm »
In the old days that's what the 'Midi Through' port was for, but most devices these days don't have one, including the BSP. Have you had a look in the Midi Control Centre for any setting which will relay incoming midi data from the USB port to the Midi Out port? If there' isn't anything, you might have to find a different way of hooking up your kit  :(

I read the german manual and there is a sentense that make me understand that the possibility is given,
but they dont explain ...

Yes before I made my post I checked the Midi Control Centre, but didnt found the right option

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:14:12 pm »

I read the german manual and there is a sentense that make me understand that the possibility is given,
but they dont explain ...

Yes before I made my post I checked the Midi Control Centre, but didnt found the right option
Ah ok. Hopefully someone who knows more about the BSP than me will chime-in with some ideas, but at the moment the only solution I can think of is hooking them both up to a separate midi hub (midi interface with a USB to the computer and multiple ins and outs to connect to midi gear) but you might lose the ability to play your synthesiser from your BSP in the process, depending on how the interface routes the ins and outs.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 03:43:14 am »
BSP doesn't do soft-through at all but will pass notes on the channels selected for the three tracks when stopped.  The way to get around the issue is a MIDI splitter/thru box of some description.  There's a few thread on here that cover the topic, so have a search around and see what you think would suit your wants.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

combat_skill

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 02:06:48 pm »
not the answer I was hoping for ... :-(
but thanks for the info!

from the manual:
The front panel of the BeatStep Pro allows you to take command of all sorts of external
devices through its Pitch, Velo and Gate connectors. It also can send data to those devices
from the USB port of your computer.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:12:29 pm by combat_skill »

whyistherenophonesupport

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 07:02:49 pm »
This is an extremely frustrating omission for a piece of gear that is advertised as being able to connect all of your gear together.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 05:16:47 am »
Such behaviour does come in handy when looping the BSP around back to a synth that is also sending input MIDI to it to avoid MIDI feedback loops, especially if the synth can't turn off local control.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines