March 19, 2024, 04:19:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Stuck Midi Notes  (Read 12525 times)

catdog

• Apprentice
Stuck Midi Notes
« on: February 10, 2019, 03:26:24 pm »
Hi, I've had my Keystep for just over a day now and I've been having some real trouble with midi notes sticking when using the keyboard over USB as a midi controller. Some "note off" events just seem to be going missing.

This is especially noticeable when using the sequencer or arpeggiator, but also happens when just playing the keyboard. I've recreated the issue easily in Ableton on Windows, also in Reaper, FL Studio and standalone VSTs. The issue also happens on a Linux installation using Reaper. The problem occurs when using either the internal midi clock as master or when using Ableton as master and the Keystep set as slave.

I've found some reports online of other people having this issue but not seen any fix, is it a general issue with this keyboard? It's a shame as otherwise I'm really happy with the keyboard, but if I can't find a solution I'm going to return it as it makes the keyboard pretty much unusable for me.

Any ideas please? I've attached some screenshots to show the issue, one using MidiOx clearly shows the missing note off event.

Thanks

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Stuck Midi Notes
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 02:20:42 am »
Which firmware are you on?  I remember getting the same issue when I first bought my Keystep.  I updated the firmware and it stopped.  It's not listed as a fixed bug but I can't think of anything else that would have stopped it from happening.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

catdog

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:14:07 am »
Sorry I should have mentioned that, it came with the latest firmware 1.0.1.15 already installed. Thanks

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 02:09:10 pm »
Any glitches I had with keystep ended when I updated to the latest firmware and bought a better USB cable. Also are you using it through a USB hub? That can be an issue too.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

catdog

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 07:42:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I've been using the cable that came with the Keystep direct into USB ports on my tower - I've tried several different USB ports (some USB 2, 3 and 3.1) with no change. A different cable is a good idea and was worth a shot, I've just tried some other USB cables and still have the same issue unfortunately.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 10:06:46 pm »
Are you at all able to try it on a different computer? As always, diagnosing these problems is about removing the variables one by one.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

catdog

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 10:03:07 pm »
I've finally managed to get my hands on a different computer to test and it does appear to be my computer that's the problem here ??? Not sure whether to be relieved that my Keystep is ok or gutted that it's my computer! Replacing it isn't really an option as it's a tower that I recently built with a decent budget, maybe it's a motherboard issue? I've just updated my BIOS and still got the issue, doesn't seem to be a driver issue at it's happening in Windows and Linux. Tried unplugging all other USB devices, fiddling about with BIOS config and anything else I can think of with no luck... the only thing I can think of trying now is risking a tenner on a PCI USB 2.0 card to see if that makes any difference. Failing that maybe it's an excuse to buy some more hardware ;D Thanks again for the help, if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

fungus

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 06:33:44 pm »
I've just been using my keystep and I noticed this problem, too. Every now and again a note just gets stuck on when I'm playing it.

I can reproduce it mashing half the notes on the keyboard simultaneously with both hands and releasing them all at once. I get a stuck note maybe one in four times when I do it.

This seems like a serious bug to me.

FWIW I'm using USB cable into Propellerhead Reason.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 10:05:06 pm »
I'd be more inclined to think it was a fault with the controller if it was always the same key that got stuck. Try a different cable. Also try a different computer (or tablet), because with the OP it turned out to be a computer fault, not the controller.  As always (and as proved by this thread) it's all about removing the variables to affect an accurate diagnosis rather than assuming the controller is at fault. Which it may be, but you can't be sure.

fungus

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 10:42:22 pm »
It's always a different key that gets stuck so it's not a physical hardware problem. I actually managed two stuck keys on one of my big keymashes.

I tried using a MIDI-to-USB cable instead of USB and after a lot of mashing I haven't had a single stuck key.

The USB driver used by the Keystep is built into Windows and has date 2013. I have a hard time believing the bug is there, people would have noticed by now.

I think the bug is in the Keystep's internal USB software.

gphantom

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 03:05:17 am »
Usually, if something get's stuck, the computer is usually at fault.
    A-  Too slow - An old computer might be too slow to catch signals, like Midi commands.
    B-  System has too many various software competing with the INTerrupts.  In other words, some or more software are CPU hungry causing it to slow down.
    C-  CPU hungry software i.e. Anti-virus.  Some AV like Nortons, takes over the system and the more tasks it does, the slower the system becomes
    D-  Background tasks occuring such as automatic backups.
    E-  Not enough memory to handle various software in the background - This will cause windows to swap software in and out of virtual memory
    F-  Disk drives too slow - SSDs are best.  The prices have dropped significantly.
    G-  Virtual memory too low - I personally set the LOW and HIGH amount to the same value (2x physical memory) and not let windows manage the swap size.
    H-  Possibility that the graphics card is too old/slow.  Since these newer DAWs and software instruments require fast graphics, it could cause the system to slow down.
     I-  Try not to have a mother board with graphics display onboard.  This can cause the CPU to be shared with graphics functions.
    J-  Audio card could also cause some problems.  I have an ASIO card (old but quick) which solved some of my problems for sound.

1-  Take a look at the task manager to see how much activity the CPU is doing.  If it's maxing out, there's your problem.
2-  Take a look at physical memory usage.  If it's maxed out, you need more memory.
3-  If your disk drive is constantly operating, it usually indicates that windows is swapping programs in and out alot.  If you have two physical drives, use the one that windows is NOT on as the swap drive.  Also, control the amount of swap space yourself and don't let windows handle it since it is constantly shrinking and expanding the space to accommodate the software it's swapping.  Set the space to double the physical memory.
4-  If your memory isn't dual memory architecture, invest in it.  They should be matched sets of ram and one should be in channel A, the other in channel B.  This will increase memory access a lot.

This should help narrow down some computer problems that may be causing various midi (and other) problems like screen jittering (freeze/unfreeze on displays) etc. etc.
If expense is an issue, there are many inexpensive parts that are available.  I usually stick with ASUS motherboards and Graphics as well as Audio cards.  As for antivirus, I use Avira which does the job perfectly and doesn't take over my system.
Good luck

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 01:35:28 pm »
I think the bug is in the Keystep's internal USB software.
If that was the case then everyone using a KeyStep via USB should be able to replicate the bug. But I have access to two different KeySteps, four computers (all Macs) and three iPads, and I can't replicate the problem you're having with any of them. So that IMO rules out the likelihood of it being a KeyStep firmware problem, leaving the following possible reasons:

1) It's your KeyStep
2) It's your USB lead
3) It's your computer

So try it on a different computer. Try it with a different USB lead. As I already stated in my reply to the original OP, you can't solve it without removing some of the variables. It's an unsolvable equation, like being presented with A+B+C = 5 then asked what are the values of A, B and C.

fungus

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 02:13:47 am »
I have access to two different KeySteps, four computers (all Macs) and three iPads, and I can't replicate the problem you're having with any of them.

I'm using a PC, maybe Macs don't suffer from this.

So that IMO rules out the likelihood of it being a KeyStep firmware problem

Not at all. USB is a complex protocol, some USB drivers may be more tolerant of bad incoming data than others.

you can't solve it without removing some of the variables

I'll try, but unless it's the cable (which I doubt) then I won't be able to "solve" anything.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 12:58:13 pm »
Don't you have a different PC you could at least try it on? Even just a friend's by downloading the trial version of Analog Lab? Or a tablet or smartphone using a free app like GarageBand? There can't be anyone these days in a first world country who can't gain access to multiple computers/devices. It would help you to diagnose the problem.
I'm using a PC, maybe Macs don't suffer from this thing.
I'm hazarding a guess that all PC users aren't having this problem. So we're back to ruling-out the variables by process of substitution to try to isolate the problem, the three variables being (1) your specific computer (this turned out to be the OP's problem), (2) the USB cable (3) your specific KeyStep.

Hope you get it sorted, whatever the cause turns out to be.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines