March 28, 2024, 08:46:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: TRANSPOSING IN SEMITONES  (Read 7713 times)

bunja1979

• Apprentice
TRANSPOSING IN SEMITONES
« on: February 06, 2019, 06:10:36 pm »
Hi everyone i'm quite new to the Arturia keystep ,one feature that is missing for me is the ability to transpose by semitones , i asked arturia if they would implement this feature , and they replied  :sure if enough people ask for it , so i want to test the power of the people and if enough of you comment here ill screen shot  it and show them , how can we get them to listen for a future update?  cheers  ps; i think this feature is needed on such a small keyboard where space is restricted cheers .

CH7

• Apprentice
Re: TRANSPOSING IN SEMITONES
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 01:43:25 am »
The Keystep should have been the ultimate goto controller.

With its abundance of connection options the keystep should have been the last word.
So imagine my disappointmet to discover after purchase that the TRANSPOSE i saw silk screened on the device doesn't actually mean what most people would take it to mean.

Like so many others i am not a keyboard player. If I could play keyboards I would be on a fullsize controller. This device was suppose to  help out wannabees like me. This single feature, note transpose,  should be fundamental to any Midi controller. I can't understand why it was not, and will not be implimented.

OK there's been no new firmware since 2016, i know revisiting old code can be daunting, i understand that, so why not release the firmware source code and allow the community to add the new features.

If Arturia can't be bothered to update the firmware , please please please release the source code.

[btw - asking us the notes of the c major scale is taking the mick - do you only sell your products to those who took music theory?]

gphantom

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 03:57:19 am »
Releasing the code would be like asking apple to release their code for their phones... Not gonna happen.  They're not non-profit companies.  They gotta make a buck. Releasing their code would allow other people to compete with them.

The Keystep is especially useful as a sequencer where you can have it play a drum sequence while recording a melody on another controller.  The same goes for the arpegiator.  The keystep (for me) also is great for going to the cottage with my laptop.  Don't need to cart a 61 key or worse, an 88 key controller.

CH7

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 05:38:51 pm »
There's no denighing its a great multi function keyboard. It just lacks a key feature which other midi controllers have, and which was sorted of suggested with the graphics on the device.   A note transpose function is kind of a basic for a midi controller.  The word transpose is also pretty prominant on the device, so why not impliment this fully. 

Right now i am faced with building something in Ardrino to sit between the Keystep and my computer, or between the keystep and other other hardware. Why? Because i don't have the time or the inclination to learn the scales and fingering for every position on the keyboard,  the C scale should be all i need to get on with making music.

Come on Arturia, all you need is a key combination which recognises the transpose mode,  and the simple logic which calculates the offset to the midi note before transmitting it.  This is a couple of lines of code, no great under taking for a company the size of Arturia.

bunja1979

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 12:12:20 am »
This really need to happen soon

CH7

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 04:57:26 pm »
This really need to happen soon

So a new upgrade came out in August 2019, but still no semitones transpose. This should be possible in the software.

E.g. Press  'x + shift', flash buttons to show in transpose mode. User then select note to transpose to , 'x +shift' to exit mode and stop flashing buttons. Calculates offset relative to default middle c. If no note selected in transpose mode, offset defaults to 0.

The prog would calculate the offset, store it onboard, then append the offset to the midi note value. Easy as.

Here's hoping we see this for August 2020.

Spiegelneuronen

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 09:03:21 pm »
I'd love having that. I was kinda little disappointed not to have it.
Son here's my +1

masi

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 09:15:20 pm »
Now that Keystep PRO is out Keystep in terms of listening to customer demand is dead.

Maybe there will be a Keystep 2 ... or not.

Masi

CH7

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 03:00:03 pm »
It would seem Arturia does not believe in a transpose function as most people imagine it.
Their new flag ship Keystep Pro also doesn't have a 'proper' transpose.

Like the keystep, the Pro has a way to transpose a sequencer or arpeggio whilst they are playing. What lacks is a way to transpose the keyboard, so you can play any chords using the basic c chord shapes.

Most keyboard controllers will do this, just not Arturia. Which is ironic given the kind of people likely to be attracted to these mini-keys controllers.

Scoox

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 12:08:00 pm »
It is unfortunate Arturia chose to omit this feature that so many of us non-keyboard players—myself included—find extremely valuable. I was all set on buying the Keystep Pro because:

• It's very compact
  • Features aftertouch
  • Has a built-in sequencer
  • Solid build quality with metal base
  • Looks stunning (though I'd prefer a black edition if available)

... until I learnt it lacks semitone transpose. It really is a pity because the product is almost perfect. For now I'll be buying a Roland A-49 instead, which may not be ideal but it has all the key bread-and-butter features including semitone transpose.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 12:34:39 pm »
  • Looks stunning (though I'd prefer a black edition if available)
Now and again they launch them in black as limited editions. For ages I couldn't figure out why, then I realised it's a marketing ploy, and a successful one at that. Most people who would express a preference want them in black. So make the white version first, then sell a black version as a special edition in strictly limited numbers to attract both new buyers and a proportion of owners who already bought the white one but just have to have it in black.  It's sneaky, underhanded, but genius.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines