March 28, 2024, 11:00:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using Arturia KeyStep with Roland SH-2  (Read 1338 times)

DJBRT

Using Arturia KeyStep with Roland SH-2
« on: February 06, 2019, 04:40:23 am »
Hi there, Im trying to sequence my Roland SH-2 with my new keystep but Im not getting anything. I have one cord going from Gate on the keystep to the Gate input on the SH-2 and the other cord going from Pitch on the Keystep to the CV input on the SH. Ive tried different settings in the Midi Control center for the Keystep but still cant get my SH to respond. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Using Arturia KeyStep with Roland SH-2
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:10:31 am »
Do you have another CV/gate synth you can test your Keystep with?  Do you have another CV/gate sequencer/keyboard you can test your SH-2 with?  Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it or know someone who does?
After some research I've found a manual for the SH-2 and discovered the specs for it's CV interface.  It says it needs a minimum of +7.5v for the gate which is unusually high.  The pitch is in more often used 1v/Oct.  Knowing these two details try setting the Keystep to V-Trig (12v) Gate and V/Oct Pitch CV.

Thinking about this problem of testing gear, it would be nice is there was some software for a computer (or better still a mobile phone) that could send gate and CV signals out via the headphones jack.  It could work using the left channel only so a splitter would not be required or on both if the user has a splitter.  It's always easy for a user to get a multimeter and quickly learn to use it, but gaining access to a source of controlled voltages is a lot harder if they only have the one CV/gate sequencer/synth.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines